Ultimate Subaru Message Board

speedometer xt6 Question

I have my New 88 xt6 AUTO and when on the freeway the speedo stops at 55mph- then when I hit 70 it jumps and starts working again-- Any Ideas? hey atleast I have an excuse when I get pulled over but officer my speedometer only says that I'm going 55!:eek::lol::headbang:

i have a post here and/or on the xt forums about regreasing the speedo cable. there's actually a really simple way to do it without even pulling the cable sheath out from behind the instrument cluster.

there's cable specific grease you want - graphite based something or another, availbable at any store.

there's a good chance the cable is twisted, frayed and in need of replacement, so check it out when you get to it.

the officer won't care that your speedo doesn't work - he would say it's your responsibility to have things like that fixed or inspected. it's not like they haven't had that excuse before! it could hose you in some states - they will reply with a repair order requiring you to have the odometer inspected and calibrated properly and documenting that repair to them within some time frame. that usually requires a visit to the police barracks or motor vehicle department within some time frame of receiving the repair order.

good luck - just dig up that speedo cable thread.

its also possable that the needle itself is sticking in the bush that it turns in....my australian brumby did the same thing (at a different speed however), cable was fine

however when i took the dashcluster apart and moved the needle with my finger i could feel the needle go a little bit stiff at the same point that it paused at during acceleration....

i cleaned it out with contact cleaner and put some graphite based lube (that i had "liberated" from work) on it and worked the needle backwards and fowards till it rotated smoothly....it was all good after that

its also possable that the needle itself is sticking in the bush that it turns in....my australian brumby did the same thing (at a different speed however), cable was fine
this sounds more likely - i was even skeptical that it would really be the cable - it shouldn't do that "at one speed" thing. getting to the needle is going to be far more work, one of those things that is a lot more annoying the first time you do it.