Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High beams comes on periodically???

On my gen2 liberty when the head lights are on, about every week or so, the highbeams turn themselves on. To get them to turn off I just turn the high beams on then off and all will be fine again. I was thinking maybe some new relays for the headlights?

I tend to think the problem is dirty contacts in the switch causing this to happen. You may be able to clean them with some contact cleaner if you can get to them. They may be sealed up though which would mean a new switch is needed.

On my gen2 liberty when the head lights are on, about every week or so, the highbeams turn themselves on. To get them to turn off I just turn the high beams on then off and all will be fine again. I was thinking maybe some new relays for the headlights?
I'm not sure if the Liberty is identical to the Legacy, but...

On the Legacy, the headlight relays don't control whether low or high beam is activated, so relay condition shouldn't be a factor in your case.

Do the high beams activate ("flash") when the switch lever is pulled towards you? Does it get pulled back to the middle (low beam) position when the lever is released?

Do the high beams activate ("flash") when the switch lever is pulled towards you? Does it get pulled back to the middle (low beam) position when the lever is released?

Yeh if you pull it towards you it it will turn the high beams on untill till you release it.

• 3 weeks later...