Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX diff lock switch wiring

It's excactly the same as the Pushbutton S/R trans 2wd/4wd solenoids. Same Solenoids, same type of switching, same vacuum actuator cable(?) Parts are as follows:

2 solenoids, supplied with vacuum. (solenoids for 2wd/4wd S/R are the same)

A double sided vacuum diaphraghm that Pushes/Pulls a cable

Cable connected to a lever on the side of the trans that slides the lock collar inside the trans.

Switch is a Single pole, Double Throw, no *off* type.

I've always thought it would be cool to use a S/R pushbutton shifter as the DiffLock button on a Fulltime trans.

I've always thought it would be cool to use a S/R pushbutton shifter as the DiffLock button on a Fulltime trans.

that's what I'm running. Loyale shifter/knob with '85 hi/low shifter on my RX trans.

he pretty much got it. as for the wiring side. 2 wires to each solenoid, one gets grounded, and the other is switched power. when the power wire is turned on, the solenoid opens and let's the vacuum through to the diaphragm on the trans.

ok so I got my vacuum hose hooked up to the solenoids and the diaphram.

but the diff lock will not turn on. I only saw it turn on once while driving on the freeway. I forgot to turn it off. I have yet to see it again.

Is there some way of testing it to see what it wrong? is there something I need to clean to make it work better?

BW

first you have to figure out what isn't working.....if it's just the indicator light, vacuum leak, electrical problem etc.

start by putting the car on ramps, and try locking/unlocking the diff and seeing if the lever on the side of the trans moves. then test for power/ground at the solenoids when engaged, then make sure all vacuum lines are hooked up.