Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Used Subie Recommendations for Teen Driver

A great board for surrogate parenting…

Your son’s fortunate to have a father who would indulge him with an SVX. That’s still a lot of car for a 16 year old IMHO. The tongue in cheek WRX recommendations are funny. If I had a WRX when I was 16, I would never have made it to 17.

My recommendation would be a 95ish Impreza Front-Wheel Drive Sedan with the 1.8 liter 5 speed manual. Here are my thoughts:

1. He shouldn’t be able to get into too much trouble with that 1.8L manual. It’s tougher to hold a beer bottle and shift/drive at the same time.

2. It’s small enough that he won’t be the “party wagon” driver loaded with kids, booze, and who knows what in the back of an AWD Legacy headed out into the boonies for a kegger. O.K. so I’m a killjoy parent. I drove the family wagon in high school when my father let me have it. It was difficult explaining the cornstalks stuck to the bottom of the car once…:rolleyes:

3. He’ll save on insurance and gas (you’ll save that is…)

4. You should be able to get one for cheap if you can find one…

5. If he really needs the “cool” factor, maybe an older 2.5RS Impreza with the spoiler and hood scoops but without the turbo of the WRX’s. I think some of the older non-RS Impreza’s might have come with a small rear spoiler as well.

Good Luck

The SVX got vilified up here when one got stolen and the driver tore up a golf course and led police on a chase on and off the freeway and ended up cornered in a residential neighborhood. All caught on news footage about 2 years ago. Since then the local cops have kept their eyes on sporty looking Subarus.

I think any of the imps from 1993-96 would be a perfect car for a teenager. The 96 can have the 2.2 engine but that gives it average acceleration in its class compared to the 0-60 in over 10 seconds that I had with my 93.