Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ER27 to EA82 clutch interchange?!

Ohkay, I've got the basic stuff down. The ER27 is a lighter replacement for the EA82. How much heavier is the EA82's? Is it a direct bolt in replacement?? I'm wondering cause for offroad applications a heavier flywheel is the way to go, keeps things running in the low rpm applications. Since the ER is timed on the front pully I'm not worried about that stuff. I just want to make sure that if I get an EA82 flywheel it'll bolt right in without any work to it. I'm going to get a new clutch, and the EA82's kit is much cheaper than the ER27's anyways. Thanks all!

The heavier flywheel is better for sure but I think you will want to stay with the stronger XT-6 clutch, I'm sure it's worth the extra toy certificates. I think you can mix and match the two.

I found this on the XT-6 board, http://www.xt6.net/

www.subaru-engine-parts.com

Here's the thread I found it in:

http://www.xt6.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1636&highlight=exedy

There is a inexpensive clutch kit there, looks too good to be true, might warrant a call first?

I have both flywheels here in my shed, I just weighed each and the diff is approx 3.5 lb (sorry no digital scale) The "meat" is where it will do the most good - around the perimeter, there are timing marks on both f.wheels.

The bolt pattern/spacing for the crank and p.p. is the same.

The only thing that may cause problems is the outer edge of the XT6 f.wheel is chamfered, (see pict) the EA82T wheel is not.

Is the any part of the ER engine that might cause interference issues?

The middle and one on the very bottom are f.wheel are the from the XT6. (The other is an EA82 put on a lathediet.)

HTH

flywhtr.JPG

Thanks alot, very informative. I think that I may just stick with whot I got, now that I've got a lead on a clutch kit for less than 200 bucks. One question though, does the clutch disc for the 4wd XT6,2wd XT6 and D/r 5spd have the same diameter and spline? I can't remember if I used the stock clutch disc that came with the motor or one of the D/r ones I had around. Also I'm not sure if the motor came out of a 2wd or 4wd. Just want to make sure that when I order it, I get the right one for my tranny.

Adam, I am running the EA82 flywheel with no problems. The clearance is fine and the bolt pattern/size is exactly the same. the disk was rebuilt by clutchmasters with a stageIII compound and holds with no slippage or chatter at all. Engagement is smooth and at a normal pedal pressure.

current situation to older situation in that order...follows.

NOW). EA82T / EA82 4WD flywheel / XT6 clutch and Pressure plate with XT6 FT 4WD 5spd (w/Diff lock)

previous stage.) EA82T / EA82 4WD flywheel, clutch, PP, D/R 5spd

previous stage.) EA82T / torque converter 4EAT (tranny died)

If I had more time that day and sunlight too, the flywheel would of swapped as well. Bummer too as the XT6 clutch has more springs on it and the 4WD clutch that i had ordered back in ......97? was from subaru and ended up being the same size as the XT6 cltch disc size..... so.... heres a odd note....

over the last year and a half those 10-12 times i "smoked the clutch slightly" I was assuming it was because i had the "smaller" 7 7/8 sized clutch and not the larger sided one...... well I have not yet tried to see if I can this clutch to slip as I'm still getting used to it.

Need to make the first "project" i do when i arrive inMichigan is to fabricate up a vaccumm solenoid setup out of the extra air slenoids from the air ride system for a Diff Lock controller as I'm not going to be able to find a functional setup anytime soon to pull from an Xt6 or wagon anytime in the forseeable future.....