Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how long do you wait to crank a car after a reseal?

i just assembled an EA82 - heads and up. i didn't have time to start it until tomorrow anyway but i was wondering how long you guys wait to crank them up?

the main concern being the sealant of the cam carrier cases. does that need to dry/cure before starting it? i actually always use Anaerobic sealant, not RTV.

I just replaced my HLAs, so I'm going through the same thing. I also used Permatex anaerobic to seal the cam tower.

"Anaerobics cure at room temperature when in direct contact with metal and not exposed to air. Stable when exposed to air, curing by chemical reaction begins as soon as the close fitting between mating metal parts to be bonded prevents the presence of air. Heat can accelerate the cure rate."

The stuff that oozed out 2 days ago is still as liquidy as when I put it on. I can only assume the stuff in the joint has cured by now.

-Dave

The stuff that oozed out 2 days ago is still as liquidy as when I put it on. I can only assume the stuff in the joint has cured by now.

-Dave

yeah aint that funny! that's got to confuse some people, first timers, etc. i was probably confused the first time...i probably have a post 5 years ago about it!

24 hrs for most modern sealants...
thanks, i read the bottle and packaging and it said nothing? how stupid!?

funny though - does that mean every time someone has an oil pump or other job requiring these sealants they wait 24 hours to get their car back. seems like people get their car back the same day on some things. not that i would know, it's been a decade since a mechanic has worked on any of my vehicles.

I put a socket adapter in an electric drill and use it to turn the oil pump until it loads up - oil in all the channels. THEN install the timing belts.
i was asking more about how long the sealant takes to dry, but i've done that as well. i've pulled the oil pump and valve covers before as well while doing this just to get an idea of how quick it primes - it's very quick.

funny though - does that mean every time someone has an oil pump or other job requiring these sealants they wait 24 hours to get their car back. seems like people get their car back the same day on some things. not that i would know, it's been a decade since a mechanic has worked on any of my vehicles.

I've never waited unless it was the end of the day and the car wouldn't be delivered anyway. In that case I will wait until morning to fire it up.

By the time you get the motor installed, or all the other stuff put back on after a HG job, it's had plenty of time to cure. I've never had a problem anyway, ymmv.

I use "right stuff" on the cam towers and never wait to start the engine. I haven't had a single leak since started using "right Stuff" as a sealant. It was recommended to me by my mechanic and is all he uses. Me too now.

I use "right stuff" on the cam towers and never wait to start the engine. I haven't had a single leak since started using "right Stuff" as a sealant. It was recommended to me by my mechanic and is all he uses. Me too now.

I haven't tried the Right Stuff yet so went looking for a description. Ready to use in one minute!

"Permatex the Right Stuff for Imports Gasket Maker is specifically designed to perform under higher torque loads caused by engines with closely spaced bolt patterns (typically import vehicles). This product is blowout resistant, allowing leak proof gaskets to be made and put into service in just one minute. Sensor-safe, the Right Stuff for Imports seals instantly, forms a reliable, long lasting elastomeric rubber gasket that out performs precut gaskets. OEM specified by Honda, Nissan and Mazda. Resistant to power train fluids (oil, coolant, and ATF) and operates in environments to 450F (232C) continuous; 500F (260C) intermittent. Suggested Applications: - Automotive gaskets - Valve covers - Oil pans - Transmission pans - Thermostat housings - Water pumps"