Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea71 lift (more pics of fiished product)

Hey y'all, I'm the Toolman and I'm the current owner of the Brat shown in this thread. I work with Mike Appel and I bought the Brat from him a few months ago. We have been working on it for a few weeks now in an effort to get it ready for the show in Astoria, OR. I won't be pretty, shiny, or even CLEAN, and probably never will be again!LOL It is just a new play-toy to keep me busy. Tonight I worked on the skid plate for the oil pan. I'm using the original one but I'm having to fab up some mounting brackets for the front of it. The rear is going to bolt up in the stock location. I'll get some pics of it when I'm done. Saturday we are going to go get a Brat parts car[it was rolled] and also we are picking up the EA81, trans, and two speed T-case for it. It runs OK now, but those tall tires REALLY need some more gear reduction!

Well, as an up-date, we went to Enumclaw, Wa. Sat. morning and picked up a '79 Brat parts car. We got it loaded around noon with no problems but we only got a few miles down the road when the left rear tire, wheel and brake drum fell off and went bouncing down the freeway right in front of the Tacoma Dome!!! The guy we picked it up from had taken the out all of the brake's guts and then put it back together and left the castle nut FINGER TIGHT!!!!!!! The wheel bounced over the concrete barrier to the other side of the freeway and vanished! We never saw it again. [it might be stuck in someone's grill!]

We got off the freeway and with the help of some of the local folks we got the Brat completly on top of the dolly and as far forward as possible, BUT, it still had a negetive tougue weight and was almost uncontrollable at anything over 18 MPH. We managed to get to Centrailia, Wa. by taking back roads and got there about midnight. We were going to stop there anyway and pick up an EA81 and trans to swap into the Brat. The next morning we scavenged enough parts off a Subaru wagon to get us back on the road and finally got home about 9:00pm Sun. night! The whole trip would normally take only about 7hrs., but it took us a day and a half. The rental on the dolly was supposed to be $40.00, but wound up $150.00. So much for a 'free' car!!!

At least I now have the rear seats!! :)

BTW, this is a REALLY condensed version of what happened. It would take a novel to tell the WHOLE story!!!LOL

That sounds like somthing that would happen to me!:grin: lucky no one got hurt, there has been a big problem with tires coming off rigs and hurting or killing people going the opposite way. At least it got all the all the way off the road with no harm. Good to hear that you got it all the way home!

Jeff

Yeah, good thing!! We didn't think to check if the nuts were tight because he never said anything about stripping out brake system. At least he could of put the cotter pins back in!! We found THEM in the bed, after the wheel fell off!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just wanted to let everyone know the Brat is almost finished and I can't wait for this weekend in Astoria!!! I still have a few more details to finish but I will be there whether it is completely done or not! See y'all there!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I need to get some wheel spacers made for my EA71, and I was wondering if you are happy with the 1&1/2" thickness you used for yours? Would you rather have made them thicker? thinner?

I need the spacers for just an up-size on stock 13" Snoubuparu wheels to 185M&S's, but I intend to do the same thing with my wagon that you have done to the Brat.

I would also like to know if you are going to offer a lift kit for the EA71, I would like to buy one. Thanx, Jack -- Rio Rancho, NM