Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone make a homeade liftkit for loyale

83projectbrat

Well.. the canadians raided my package and half my hardware and some lift blocks never made it.

I had to buy ALL the hardware.. and some of the bolts are like 5$ EACH at fasteners and fire...

So i spend like 200 on hardware that i shouldnt have spent..

If/When u lift Roxeanne... DO NOT LET ANYONE SEND IT THROUGH CANADA ON A FREEKIN TRUCK!!!! FEDEX IT!!!!!

Hit me up when u wanna Lift Roxeanne.. I'll be more than happy to give you a hand with that if you'd like.

Snowman -

You should save your money...

I'm planning a trip down to Oregon to see Mudrat and have him do a big lift on my sooby..

Prolly gonna go sometime this summer..

We could both drive down there, get our lifts, then rally the hell out of Canaidia on the way back up to Alaska!

matt just wants an inch or 2, so I would say a suspension lift is all he needs. In the back you just have to drill new holes that mount the top of the coilover however many inches downward, and in the front, you can get and extra strut top, and weld that to your strut top, giving you some lift there.

Hmm....

That sounds like a heck of a fun trip!

I've been kicking that basic idea around for quite some time (maybe go down for WCSS6). I'd also thought about trying to enter an actual rally down there, but that's probably too expensive, and it would suck to screw up my car 2500 miles from home.

I think I'm gonna go with the PK Davis lift kit after talking to Jon about his experiences with it. Sounds like it's pretty easy to install and basically bulletproof.

We seriously should see if this trip idea could work. I haven't driven to the lower 48 since I was seven. Maybe we could get together with the whole Alaska bunch and make a mass-pilgrimage down there or something. That would rule. (Hey Matt (northguy), I bet your Brat would rank pretty high at WCSS6... wink wink nudge nudge...)

ooo thats a good idea thanks a LOT bushbasher i have extra struts i took out a couple years ago i can hack those up and then i have a lift and stuff at my dads shop ill put it on and drill that out and move the rear down a little. will that cause any harm to move the rear strut brackets down THANKS

matt

the most suspension lift you can have in the front is about 2" You will also want to make your strut tops so that they pull the struts in further, to keep camber reasonable. In the back apparently you can go about 3" but the wheel moves forward a bit at that point, which looks kinda funny. I did the rear strut bracket thing on a turbo wagon, and thought it would break, but it worked. I think it would be stronger to make a bracket, and the bolt method isnt the cleanest looking, it all depends on what level of finish you want. You will have to use a different bolt with its own nut, and take off the plastic interior rear quarter panels to get the nuts on, as you will be drilling through both layers of sheetmetal.

theres no way your going over 100 with my described method for the lift. all you have to do is drill some holes, buy or find 4 bolts with nuts, and weld 2 strut caps together. With the byb you are looking at 300 plus shipping for the lift. However you are getting an extra inch, and there is no question of durability at all. By putting larger springs you are limiting down travel by as many inches as you lift it. He says homemade, so it's likely he has more time than money.

you got it exacly, i have the parts and the tools. and right now im trying to pay off a 2000 2.5rs and im 16 years old. i dont want to spend 300.00 on a winter car, id just love to get a inch or two more of lift so i can go through a little more snow and........ have the only lifted wagon in town :D thanks a lot, im gonna take a good look at the car and see what i can do tomorrow when it gets light out

Matt

Matt -

Well the easiest way to do that would be get some honda accord springs and swap em out with the subaru ones.

Also you can turn the preload up on the rear shocks and get up to 1.8 inches I believe, and hten the front struts have preload adjusters that would give you more height in the front..

:rolleyes: I dont know why everybody tries to sell PKdavis' lifts for him. Matt says its a winter car and he doesn't want to spend money, so get off his back. All this "PK lift is the only way to go" carp is really annoying. An inch or 2 wont kill your axles, the lifespan may shorten a bit but your not going to go through axles like oil changes. Subaru geometry is Sh*t anyway in the front, and you can use the opportunity to get closer to negative camber when you make the lift plate on top of the strut.

MDD:

About the rear preload adjustment. Somebody said that it only came on the first couple years of ea82 cars, so it may not be there on yours.

What you are looking for is a collar that supports the bottom of the rear springs. This collar sits on two or three little bumps that protrude from the strut. The collar has three little depressions that these bumps fit into, and the preload is adjusted by compressing the spring and rotating the collar so that it sits in whatever position you desire. As far as I know, they come from the factory in the lowest position, so as the springs wear or if you are carrying big loads, you can crank them up.