Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sand lake 7-20-08

TeamCF

I got the itch and hopped in tha car around noon.

Also hit up Rogue Brewery in Newport. :headbang:

400 mile day but well worth it.

Sand Lake rocks and I'm all addicted to the sand now. :grin:

On to the pics!

SL1_7-20-08.jpg

SL2_7-20-08.jpg

SL3_7-20-08.jpg

SL4_7-20-08.jpg

I love how the sand is pouring out of the fender.

SL5_7-20-08.jpg

The last pic is what everything including me looked like cause I neglected to roll up the windows before slidin' around kicking up walls of sand.

I was suprised at how well it did in the deep soft stuff.

Could do better but alot had to do with horsepower. (or lack of it)

Get going up a steep 'n' deep dune and it would just bog.

But I did enough good hill climbs to get alot of head turning, and a few head shakes.

Mainly a 1st & 2nd lo range day. 3rd gear when a long flat cruise was in order.

I only aired down to about 20 psi. Next time I might try 15, but then shy away from the hard cornering. Got that out of my system on this trip.

Now I just have to go get a new tire.

Sliced open the sidewall out there. Proly during the cookies.

Can't wait till Scott and the crew come down for WCSS 10.

haha man i love sand lake! when i first bought my sti we took a trip down there with the quads. and one of my cocky buddys was like well wait here (on the pavement in the parking area) and ill run out unload everyone (cuz we our camp was set up way out in the sand) and come back and pick you up. so i let him get out there about 100 foot and then blew by him 10 seconds later hahaha. it was fun hanging with all the banshees in a brand new lowered 06 sti on the stock bridgstones lol. i think everyone was laughing it was well worth the 300 dollar ticket i got :lol:

I've only been on the sand dunes once, in a rwd quad, and it sunk into the deep stuff so quick I'd be afraid that a car without paddle tires would just sink right in...

I mean, I know the ea81 isn't the heaviest thing, but I'd still be concerned about sinking it to the rails...

--Spiffy

haha man i love sand lake! when i first bought my sti we took a trip down there with the quads. and one of my cocky buddys was like well wait here (on the pavement in the parking area) and ill run out unload everyone (cuz we our camp was set up way out in the sand) and come back and pick you up. so i let him get out there about 100 foot and then blew by him 10 seconds later hahaha. it was fun hanging with all the banshees in a brand new lowered 06 sti on the stock bridgstones lol. i think everyone was laughing it was well worth the 300 dollar ticket i got :lol:

I've seen pics of new street Roo's out on sand. Pretty cool stuff.

It was really soft and deep out there yesterday.

I've only been on the sand dunes once, in a rwd quad, and it sunk into the deep stuff so quick I'd be afraid that a car without paddle tires would just sink right in...

I mean, I know the ea81 isn't the heaviest thing, but I'd still be concerned about sinking it to the rails...

--Spiffy

Yeah there were spots where you didn't want to stop.

But as long as I gave up before it was too late (on hillclimbs). I was always able to back out of a potenial stuck.

Just crusin' around on the flatter stuff was fine. Sink about 6 inches or so crusing on the beach area.

It's really soft out there. You can drive on the beach up near Seaside (but if you do cookie they'll be on you instantly, no silly stuff up there), and the sand is alot harder near the water.

Out at Sand Lake even where it was wet was like quicksand due to everyone always churning it up. The dry stuff was extra soft compared to any other beach.

More air out of the tires would have helped some.

I like the sand but it eats the subarus so badly that I just cant do it that often I am still cleaning out sand from a month ago

Yeah it eats everything badly.

But it's so much fun!

Used to take my dad's '73 Jeep out to the dunes in MI when I was a kid.

He would tear down just about all of the drivetrain, pull the axles, and the brakes and clean out/re-lube everything once we got home.

Used to completely rebuild that thing every few years as well. Every nut and bolt. Stripped and repainted, engine gone over, spring packs apart and repainted. all of it. Kinda had to, to keep up with the salty winters.

I was near the Oregon Dunes on the 4th of July, I was soooo tempted to put my knobby snow tires on my Legacy and get an ATV permit and go play in the sand, but I didn't want to get stuck since I wasn't with anyone who could have yanked me out lol, it did look like a lot of fun though, especially in a Subie :banana:

I was near the Oregon Dunes on the 4th of July, I was soooo tempted to put my knobby snow tires on my Legacy and get an ATV permit and go play in the sand, but I didn't want to get stuck since I wasn't with anyone who could have yanked me out lol, it did look like a lot of fun though, especially in a Subie :banana:

It 's fun. :)

I neglected to air down in the staging lot. Turns out some of the softest and deepest sand there was the pile you have to drive thru to get out of the lot.

Almost got stuck before I even made it on to the dunes! :lol: Ended up needing to air down right there.

In MI they had a huge dune you had to climb with a pole you drove under right out of the lot. If your dune flag didn't hit the pole, you couldn't go out. And if you couldn't make it up the dune, you had no business out on the rest of it.

That would be great, still building the car, so back to the shop.Sand Lake is great, and yes all the exposed steal will get rusty and one more thing " Air Down" :banana:

Yeah I knew to air down, just thought I'd try to get away with it. :rolleyes:

My GL is kinda a rust bucket as it is. (must have already been a coast car or just "not from around here")

Last time I went out on rocks the rocker panels "popped" :-\

Gonna have to start putting some sheet on it anyways so I figure, Dune it up!

Wahoo....! Sounds like ya had fun...:headbang:

I have never wheeled at sand lake ....but I did go wheelin down @ Florence....The dunes were sweet.....I aired down to about 15psi with my AT's they worked great....pedal to the metal...

:)

Yeah I only went down to 20 psi, gonna try 15 next time. :burnout: