Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Outback Speedometer questions

Well, my car developed the intermittent speedometer problem about 500 miles after I bought it. Been living with it for the last 5,000 miles or so keeping track of miles via fuel usage. Well, I have procrastinated long enough and need to replace it. Any suggestions where to get one and how much it would be? Also, what other years would work in a 99 OBW? There is a junkyard near me with a 97 legacy and a 97 OBW (I think, looks just like nippers car though). And is there any way to set the mileage on the odometer? I would like to set it to what mine currently reads plus the amount it is off.

Just in case there are differences between models.

It is a 99 OBW, auto trans, with ~140,000 miles on it.

I think the instrument panel is all the same on Leggies made during 96 to 99, maybe beyond that, so I have to guess that they are all interchange. If it were me, I would just swap out the entire instrument panel. That is a lot easier then trying to swap out just the spedometer unit.

You won't be able to set the odometer reading to the number setting that you want on a replacement unit. Too many unscrupilous car dealer over the years would roll back an odometer reading, so now the manufacturers design the odometers so that the numbers can't be rotated. So, you are stuck with the milage showing on the replacement odometer, and just have to live with it. Good luck on doing a swap!

Actually you can set the odometer if you have patience and a small screwdriver. I have done it when i was going to swap spedos.

I would suggest you cleaning all the connections and screw terminals on yours first to see if that solves the problem.

nipper

Actually you can set the odometer if you have patience and a small screwdriver. I have done it when i was going to swap spedos.

I would suggest you cleaning all the connections and screw terminals on yours first to see if that solves the problem.

nipper

I cleaned all the screws and contacts about 1,500 miles ago and it didn't do anything.

Will it be obvious where to use the screw driver to set the odometer?

I cleaned all the screws and contacts about 1,500 miles ago and it didn't do anything.

Will it be obvious where to use the screw driver to set the odometer?

Its a surprisingly simple thing to pop out of its clamps and set. As was noted above, I dont know why they changed the method of assembly. i guess with almost all cars getting inspected by plugging into a computer, its hard to lie about the mileage.

The patient part is to get all the numbers straight. You should be able to just pop yours out (tape the number so they dont move) and pop it into the new one.

nipper

Its a surprisingly simple thing to pop out of its clamps and set. As was noted above, I dont know why they changed the method of assembly. i guess with almost all cars getting inspected by plugging into a computer, its hard to lie about the mileage.

The patient part is to get all the numbers straight. You should be able to just pop yours out (tape the number so they dont move) and pop it into the new one.

nipper

Cool, now I just need to get to the junkyard when it is open.

Cool, now I just need to get to the junkyard when it is open.

Just proceed slowly when you take it apart. You know....

Just thinking.....

i remember there being a board (you can really dissasemble the spedo dopwn to almost nothing). I would start by just swapping the logic board and see if that clears it up.

nipper

Just proceed slowly when you take it apart. You know....

Just thinking.....

i remember there being a board (you can really dissasemble the spedo dopwn to almost nothing). I would start by just swapping the logic board and see if that clears it up.

nipper

That is a good idea, see if I can't figure out where the problem actually is. Although with how randomly it works and doesn't work, I have a sneaking suspicion that it may be caused by tachyon interference...

• 1 month later...

x_25, did you get your instrument cluster changed? How easy was it?

I also have a 99 Outback and I just started having the same problem. The speedometer and odometer stop working intermittently. I don't have a manual because I used ADDIY, canceled, and am going to download the FSM from Subaru.

How is the instrument cluster, speedometer, set up? Is it a mechanical cable, or a sending unit and gauge type of thing?

Thanks for the info!

x_25, did you get your instrument cluster changed? How easy was it?

I also have a 99 Outback and I just started having the same problem. The speedometer and odometer stop working intermittently. I don't have a manual because I used ADDIY, canceled, and am going to download the FSM from Subaru.

How is the instrument cluster, speedometer, set up? Is it a mechanical cable, or a sending unit and gauge type of thing?

Thanks for the info!

I haven't fixed it yet. Life has been busy. None of the gauges are mechanical. They are all electronic and each has its own flexible circuit board thing.