Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heat shield death rattle

Anyone got that awful racket on start up that goes away as it warms up?

None of them feel lose but it make a big racket.

Like to jam something in there or something to muffle the vibrations, can't vibrate, can't rattle, right???

butt what?

A clever trick that I have witnessed on purchased Suby's. Pop rivets. Don't drill for them or anything. Just jamb the 'tail' in the gap between the pipe and the shield. The head stops them from going further into the gap and thus falling out or rattling themselves.

Dave

• 1 month later...

the shields were good up to the cat.after that all hell broke loose, literally. two of the upper shield bolts for the next exhaust peice for past the cat had rusted so badly they were no longer holding the shield in place. it was a pain to rock the shield up and down so that the other side came off. the bottom shield is still there since it wasent budging. long story short i put pipe clamps but no screws past the header until the cat. rattle seems to be gone..... for now

any sugestions to remove those rusted bolts (already tried soaking them, etc)

• 3 weeks later...

Funny is the noise has been fixed and had nothing to do with the shields.

Sat all of a sudden it got loud like a hole in the muffler.

Got under it and a pipe flange connection has broken.

Was the section of pipe right between the last cat and the muffler.

That section of pipe also has some soup can thingy on it???

N-E-Who the bolts has pulled through the flange on the muffler pipe side.

But the ends of them still stuck out enough to pop back in the hole and stay there. So to be cheap I just used a good helping of silicone on the two flanges, stuck it back together and use stainless wires to hold it together. Waited and hr, then used two hose clamps hooked over the bolts to further hold the connection together tight. Then another big helping of stainless wire, criss cross around it many way to keep that flange together tight for good.

Worked like a charm, smooth and quiet again and then I noticed that rattle noise went away. Dunno how or why, it was never loud like it was leaking before but now the rattle is gone.