Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is there a speed limiter on my loyale?

picked up a loyale and i thrilled to death with it. for the first time tonight i decided to see if it would really run. it is a 1.8 3 speed auto. it's turning about 3 grand at about 55 or 60 and i wanted to see what it had in reserve. the tach shows the redline at 65 but at about 90-95 and about 5 grand it seemed to die/shut down. i have a 90 beretta gt that shuts down at 106 but is alot more noticeable. just wondered if maybe i wasn''t getting enough fuel i.e. fuel filter or if it has a speed/rev limiter?

one time i had my 83 wagon up to about 95-100mph, it was a 4spd, with 4 people in it, open exaust and going downhill in the HOV lane on I-5.... flooring it! (took a while, even down hill) the car sounded and rattled like it was going to explode!! (but it didnt.. it just kept on going!)

Three things to do to it to get more power easily:

1. Take off the airbox. Drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of the airbox, or cut one big hole maybe about the size of the air intake. It'll breath a lot better over 3500 RPM after that. This is free horsepower!

2. Next time you get a new muffler, get a lower-restriction one like a Cherry Bomb Turbo, which are also quite cheap. This might help a little, but really the bigger restriction is the airbox.

3. If your cat has a lot of miles on it, get a new one welded in. Big diff in HP and mileage might happen, like it did on my 86 MR2.

5-speed swap candidate, maybe?

Really, the 3AT trannies do not like higher RPMs for sustained driving...nor are they terribly thrilled when shifting from R to D or D to R without coming to a COMPLETE stop. It depends on how much time/effort/energy you want to put into the car.

I don't think Subaru started putting speed limiters in US cars until the WRX and the Forester Turbo hit our shores. Even the SVX didn't need one.

Actually in 94 SVX's came with speed limiters.:rolleyes:

The fastest I ever got my dads 87 GL-10 Turbo sedan was 125mph.:cool:

I don't know how fast my 81 wagon could go because the speedo only went up to 85. But since it had the same drivetrain as the 87 Turbo I have to belive it was close to 125.:cool:

I fould out on the Tri-state cruise that I can do at least 110mph in my Monster Wagon, and it out runs RS's from the tolls.:cool:

Had the 91 Legacy Turbo up to 140mph, and the SVX up to 150mph.:D

5200 is where the horsepower peaks, but you have to look at torque as well, which peaks at 2800.

I've found that, at least in my car, which has the 5MT tranny and is carbureted, the usable or actual power of the engine starts to drop off around 4500 rpm.

she makes a good beater, don't have much into the car and i have thought about making it a standard. i'm just hoping that if i keep my eyes open i can find a 4wd manual for a song and putter with that in the future. thanks all for your replys.