Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 row radiator adventure

It's funny that all four of the 5/8" ones I got that were supposed to be 1 5/16" were all metal, brass and copper. This one which was supposed to be 5/8", is plastic and aluminum. Whatever. It was $99 and I had it in two days, one if you order it on a weekday.

I tried to tell ya in post #7! ;)

Originally Posted by Frank B

If I can't find one by monday, I'm ordering the 5/8" from JC for $99. The 1 5/16" one was $153 from them, and I got the 5/8" one, so I might as well save myself some cash if that's all I'm going to get right?

"I bet you end up with an aluminum one if you do that. If the size is going to be the same, the difference must be in the materials."

edit.gif

I tried to tell ya in post #7! ;)

Originally Posted by Frank B

If I can't find one by monday, I'm ordering the 5/8" from JC for $99. The 1 5/16" one was $153 from them, and I got the 5/8" one, so I might as well save myself some cash if that's all I'm going to get right?

"I bet you end up with an aluminum one if you do that. If the size is going to be the same, the difference must be in the materials."

edit.gif

Yea, it's just annoying when these reps tell me that the manufacturer only offers one size to keep the logistics and warehousing easy, but I get one thats different then the others. If they were going to make it easy, they would all be one or the other!

So I read through all these postings as I am going to be buying a radiator in the next few days, the moral of the story is......

you get what you get, single core or double, auto or manual, brass/copper or aluminum/plastic, they will all work!?

How bout this for all you 87 gl's....what did you get, where did you get it, and is it working well?

The moral of this story is, if you want an all metal and supposedly more efficient rad, order the two row or thicker core. You'll get a 5/8 but all metal copper/brass.

If you just want something to repair the car and not spend as much, order the 5/8 to begin with you'll get aluminum with plastic tank, just like stock.

The other point is that it may not matter who you buy it from or where you order it, it may be the same rad from the same manufacturer, just with a different label and price.

Decide which rad you want, and go shopping for the best price.

So I read through all these postings as I am going to be buying a radiator in the next few days, the moral of the story is......

you get what you get, single core or double, auto or manual, brass/copper or aluminum/plastic, they will all work!?

How bout this for all you 87 gl's....what did you get, where did you get it, and is it working well?

Rockauto.com is showing a 2 row copper/brass for an '87 GL. It may be worth a shot as it's a different size radiator than the Loyales.

Rockauto.com is showing a 2 row copper/brass for an '87 GL. It may be worth a shot as it's a different size radiator than the Loyales.

All of the EA82's used the same core dimentions. If it is a couple of inches narrower it is probably for an EA81.

Rock Auto carries the same brands as the online radiator companies, Radiator Barn, Complete Radiators, JC Whitney and Autozone, or any parts house for that matter. Before you buy one, ask or check the manufacturer, then shop for the best price. Most, if not all, drop ship from the manufacturer anyway and just set their own price.

I looked up the 1 5/16 or two row rad under a 90 loyale rs turbo.

The turbo should have came with one originally, but they don't make it anymore. Instead they sell you a copper/brass one that's suppossed to be more efficient. Some here have them, and have no problems.

I had replaced the rad on a gl-10 I had just a few years ago, and I was able to get a two row then. I would suspect that if you have an intercooler, and an oil cooler on your turbo car, you could get away with the one row aluminum rad.

Frank,

(or anyone who has changed from a heavier to cheaper constructed radiator)

did you once have the heavier built radiator in yours?

i ask because we both just used the exact same autozone replacement radiator and with this new cheap aluminum and plastic one, the temperature sets at about 1/3 where my better built old one (when right) sat at about 1/4 and hardley ever budged even under load.

just wondering if you had similiar differences and if less price means less cooling.

thanks, Bill

Well, the aluminum rad that was in my car was clogged inside, and outside(bugs, dirt) so ANY new rad will perform better than that one. Mine now sits at 1/4 of the gauge sweep, if that. It's about 1/4" up off the needles resting position. barelt moves with the AC on, going up a steep 4 mile mountain(hill to you rocky mt guys).

• 4 months later...
All of the EA82's used the same core dimentions. If it is a couple of inches narrower it is probably for an EA81.

WRONG and WRONG!!!!!

non-turbo MT and 4wd 5-speed 38.495 kw 131,341 BTU/h 590 x 322 x 16 23.23 x 12.68 x 0.63

AT and 4wd dual-range 45.822 kw 156,339 BTU/h 645 x 322 x 16 25.39 x 12.68 x 0.63

TURBO 47.683 KW 162,688 BTU/h 645 x 322 x 16 25.39 x 12.68 x 0.63

according to '85 FSM 2-5 p. 5 pub. G130BEA