Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum as well as new to owning a Subaru. I test drove an 09 Legacy 2.5i (non turbo) yesterday, it was nice, but not enough power (170hp). If I decide on this car, it will be the 2.5 GT. Any good advice before making this purchase?

(5 speed, diamond metallic gray- looks real nice in the sun) :rolleyes:

Im new to the "blogging world" :rolleyes:

Spiffy- (I didnt see your reply in the meet and greet til now) Im not looking to race this car, or modify it. Its so pretty as is. I think a girl such as myself, who bought a car and knows what it is capable of, can turn heads so to speak.

This is my first purchase (without parents help), so any info is greatly appreciated!

The 3.0R is prrrty too :cool:

I dont know too much about Subaru, but I am willing to learn on here. What can beat free advice and honest feedback from diff. levels of knowledge and experiences!?

TheFlyStyle- Did you go to test drive one yet?

If I was choosing between a 2.5Turbo and the 3.0....I'd chose the 3.0 without hesitation.

That engine is super smooth, pulls from idle til 7000rpm, making a wonderfully creamy noise on the way. It's also capable of siping fuel with quite surprising parsimony - the Turbo drinks more, roughly 10% more.

I have owned a Forester 2.5XT comany car, and my neighbor owns a 3.0 Legacy, so that's based on real-world driving, not just numbers I came up with :)

Not to rub salt in any wounds, but I would most likely choose the 2.0 TurboDiesel available to us here in Europe ;)

Be aware, a more than ordinary number of 2.5 Turbo engines have cracked pistons early in life. It seems the very lean fuel mixture required to meet latest emission laws are causing extreme combustion temperatures.

Subaru over here are replacing engines under warranty.

Mine didn't put a foot wrong in 20,000 miles. I had it from new and was careful to follow the break-in period of 1000 miles with no more than half throttle and never over 4000rpm. I also didn't thrash the engine until it was warm, and never shut it off right after a hot run. Let it idle for a minute.

It's still running and has passed 40,000 miles without incident, but I reckon the guy who drives it now doesn't rev it to the redline as much as I did :burnout:

Do keep an eye on the oil level, using all that power will increase oil consumption. Check it every 1000 miles. Of course, that goes for most cars, just to be safe!

I have an 05 outback xt, and love it, sure it drinks 93 octane, sure you have to let the turbo cool a little bit after driving it, but man... when you need to get somewhere quickly, it delivers ;)

Also, i can get ~27mpg out of it on the highway... about 23-24 around town, withouth flogging it... when i really give it to her i get ~ 22mpg

i also have it tuned up to stage1.

Be aware, a more than ordinary number of 2.5 Turbo engines have cracked pistons early in life. It seems the very lean fuel mixture required to meet latest emission laws are causing extreme combustion temperatures.

Subaru over here are replacing engines under warranty.

I've seen a few of them (ok there are 4 at our shop right now) but it generally only happens when they're poorly modified and tuned.

I'd take the turbo because it's a much better base to get more power out of. With a downpipe and good tune you'll see at least an extra 50 hp at the wheels.

Andyjo, that does tie in nicely, the H6 can get 29mpg without a struggle. Of course, mashing the loud pedal into the carpet will see it drink like there is no tommorrow...but that goes for all "big" engines. I am European, we think 3.0 is big ;)

I hear you on the tuning potential, Jamal, but as you say the engine failure is often related to tuning and/or abuse. (Simple advice: Uprate the fuel pump and the pressure regulator before doing ANYTHING else.)

My own, personal, and very humble opinion is that the H6 3.0 will provide smooth, reliable, and not least flexible power for many years to come. More so, than the 2.5T.

Of course, I would be very pleased to own either of those cars. We are talking about degrees of pleasure here :slobber:

Another kick in the balls with the turbo, is your oil... at least with the 05.. I heard rumors that the newer turbos actually use coolant for the turbo bearing, instead of oil!? If so, then ignore my rant here...

In my car, if I won't let it cool out (let it idle for 30sec-1min) before turning it off, the oil gets disgusting, and burnt up. (the oil still in the bearing gets nasty). I'm running amsoil synthetic, and still have to change it ~3000mi or so.

So i guess if the rumor is true (about the coolant for the bearing, not oil), if you don't let it cool out.. the coolant will just boil into steam.. and re-condence... i'm guessing...

Personally if I were looking for a daily driver, I would choose a car that gets the best possible mileage on regular fuel while delivering reasonable performance in everyday driving. I don't care what the speculators say, fuel costs WILL continue to rise steadily over time. Even if big oil can buy enough politicians to drill where ever they want to, and gullible voters continue to put them in office.

I waited in gas lines in the '70's and '80's and I'm paying over $4 a gallon right now along with everyone else. The subsidies and favors that big oil does only one thing - it makes the oil companies and their executives (along with a lot of foreign dictatorships) a lot richer. It has NEVER helped the consumer. And as long as oil is the major source of energy for our cars, they will have us by the short hairs and will be able to charge what ever price they please. They know this and that's why you are seeing all of the deceptive ads on TV and hearing the "drill more solution" from politicians already in their pockets.

The turbo adds additional operating cost to a vehicle for it's entire life, premium fuel, poorer gas mileage, more frequent oil changes, repairs on the turbo parts and associated plumbing and so on.

I drive a '00 Outback wagon with the naturally aspirated 2.5 in it and it has plenty of power for the type of practical car that it is and I get 25mpg or better with a lead foot (i.e. 75+ on the open interstate). If I want a performance car, I'll drive the '00 Vette which will do 0-60 in just over 4 seconds, finish a quarter mile in just over 12 and will also get 25mpg on the highway.