Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pros cons of soobs or Toys

ezapar

Just to throw my $.02 in. Zap, you know I started out questioning the off- road ability of Soobs. Not that I am not a big fan of Subaru's. I love daily driving them and enjoy working on them for a living and as a hobby.

I did finally get around to building my Hatch, and I love it. But I don't wheel it hardly at all.

The reason is...........I started out wheelin' a 1985 Toyota 4 Runner. First I wheeled it stock, then started modifing it. It worked very well stock, and every mod I have done has just made the trails easyer, or more fun because I can now take the "stupid" lines.:)

I have done all the work on my Runner myself except for $65 to have a shock hoop bent a tacked into place for the rear shocks. I am into it for around $4000, including purchase price. Have been wheelin it for 6+ years.

33 x 12.50 BFG A/T's wrapped around 15" X 10" Centerline's

Dual transfer cases.

63" Chevy's in the rear

Rear Toy's up front.

Rear diff welded

Front Aussie locker

OBA

Hand Throttle

Winch

Pro's.........

Reliable

Plenty of gearing options

Plenty of space for camping gear, and a canoe on top

Good fuel mileage

Can drive it to the trail, wheel it, and drive it home

It looks cool:grin:

Has taken me every were I have wanted to go except up this...........................and I'm still not sure I really want to go there.............picture.php?albumid=31&pictureid=203

Con's.........

Nothing that can't be changed to my liking.

Now for the Hatch.

3" Ozified lift

27 X 9.50 X 14 SSR's on 6 bolt Nissan chrome wheels.

Welded rear diff

Duel carbs

D/R 5 speed.

Pro's............

It looks cool:grin:

It is a Subaru

It has been cheaper to build than the 4 Runner (so far)

Con's.........

Not enough power

Not enough gearing to make up for no power and larger tires.

(Haven't really wheeled it since the duel carbs and D/R 5 speed went in) (hoping to see a little difference there)

Not a lot of room for camping gear. I have had the canoe on top, but then there is the issue of not enough power/gearing

Not much of a joy to drive on the highway. (I'm still working on that)

Will not go a lot of places that my Runner will take me.

I won't sell either one. They both have their place in my little world.:)

Edited by WAWalker

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to throw my $.02 in. Zap, you know I started out questioning the off- road ability of Soobs. Not that I am not a big fan of Subaru's. I love daily driving them and enjoy working on them for a living and as a hobby.

I did finally get around to building my Hatch, and I love it. But I don't wheel it hardly at all.

The reason is...........I started out wheelin' a 1985 Toyota 4 Runner. First I wheeled it stock, then started modifing it. It worked very well stock, and every mod I have done has just made the trails easyer, or more fun because I can now take the "stupid" lines.:)

I won't sell either one. They both have their place in my little world.:)

You took those words directly out of my mouth. I can't agree with you more. I'm almost done building my newest hatch. It'll hardly see any wheeling at all. Total conversation piece. My toy's an 85 shortbox. EFI. Love love love love love it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

its an old thread but I might as well throw in my $0.02. It is really fun driving subaru's offroad just from the reactions you get when you make it up/threw some crazy obstacle.

Ive driven more capible rigs offroad before.They are just no fun because they arn't challanging. Just drive the damned thing up the trail without any real regard to line or tire placement.With subaru's its different.Its alot like playing chess and I like that.gotta pick your line and place your tires carefully or you will get stuck or break something.

will a subaru outwheel everything,not even close.although it is fun to make it to the top of something only to find out that several jeeps/toys/chevies etc with much bigger tires and more money into them had problems with,and you just waltzed right up something..

But see, I get that same satisfaction knocking out the hardest trails at the ORV park in my open diff'd Toy. The looks I get as they find out I'm the only one in the group who's not locked after we tackle some really hard section is as valuable to me as the looks I'd get doing trails in a Soob. You can bet that More than once, Turbone (no offence bro) has backed out of following me up some hill and chose in stead to take the bypass in his hatch, which could be argued to be the baddassest Soob on the trails.

I can do all of the trails at Evans Creek in a day whereas the typical group of Soobs I went there with time and time again only got to do two or three tops in a day. Not waiting for the third axle to be fixed in the same 200 yards is priceless when just wanting to 4X the trail you're on. I get to go UP the worm trail in my Toyota. (even though it's still open diff'd)

(knock on wood) it's never broken down on me, I've never had to wait while it cooled or had to straighten a bent piece of suspension. In 7 years + wheeling it, it's only broken the bolt that holds the axle from moving along the spring. That took 15 minutes to figure out and fix and I was able to drive back out of the Wall trail at Reiter's Pit and home. (ask, that's a gnarly rump roast trail)

I've only smelled clutch once, it's on the same one I put in it when I first got it.

Not wrestling wth the steering wheel is pretty special too.

Edited by Zap

But see, I get that same satisfaction knocking out the hardest trails at the ORV park in my open diff'd Toy. The looks I get as they find out I'm the only one in the group who's not locked after we tackle some really hard section is as valuable to me as the looks I'd get doing trails in a Soob. You can bet that More than once, Turbone (no offence bro) has backed out of following me up some hill and chose in stead to take the bypass in his hatch, which could be argued to be the baddassest Soob on the trails.

I can do all of the trails at Evans Creek in a day whereas the typical group of Soobs I went there with time and time again only got to do two or three tops in a day. Not waiting for the third axle to be fixed in the same 200 yards is priceless when just wanting to 4X the trail you're on. I get to go UP the worm trail in my Toyota. (even though it's still open diff'd)

(knock on wood) it's never broken down on me, I've never had to wait while it cooled or had to straighten a bent piece of suspension. In 7 years + wheeling it, it's only broken the bolt that holds the axle from moving along the spring. That took 15 minutes to figure out and fix and I was able to drive back out of the Wall trail at Reiter's Pit and home. (ask, that's a gnarly rump roast trail)

I've only smelled clutch once, it's on the same one I put in it when I first got it.

Not wrestling wth the steering wheel is pretty special too.

:banana:

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey Zap, or any of the other hardcore 4x4 guys. What are your thoughts on the early 90's late 80's Nissan pickups? I had one all though highschool and fix just about every part on mine (2wd). I've been thinking about getting a pickup and after getting majorly burned by a toyota dealership I use to work at I've vowed to never own one again.

Sorry if thats too much off topic.

Sorry you gave up on Toyota. If you want a truck to just haul a couple things every now and then, a 2WD Nissan will be okay. If you wanna go off-road you might run into a couple issues.

I had a 2wd v6 in high school that I literately beat the crap out of. 8 years later is still running, burns some oil and some of the electronics need attention but it gets a load of stuff to the dump. It just rolled over 330k.

what kind of "issues" would I run into if I decided I wanted to go offroad with one? The only stuff i could find online was on the yotatech forums and I think they might be a little bias. They said something about the frames not being as strong in the nissans.

every 80s nissan product ive driven has had a weak clutch, seemed to not work as well as everything else ive driven. i do like the 8 plug 4 banger. you can haul alot w those. btw weak clutch doesnt necessarily mean old or installed wrong in this case.

I had a 2wd v6 in high school that I literately beat the crap out of. 8 years later is still running, burns some oil and some of the electronics need attention but it gets a load of stuff to the dump. It just rolled over 330k.

what kind of "issues" would I run into if I decided I wanted to go offroad with one? The only stuff i could find online was on the yotatech forums and I think they might be a little bias. They said something about the frames not being as strong in the nissans.

The issue is your front axle will not be powered and unable to pull you over an obstical.

Its 2WD. Maybe we're talking about two different kinds of off-road here?

The issue is your front axle will not be powered and unable to pull you over an obstical.

Its 2WD. Maybe we're talking about two different kinds of off-road here?

I'm looking at picking up a 4x4 one. But I'm trying to decide between a nissan or a toyota.

I'm looking at picking up a 4x4 one. But I'm trying to decide between a nissan or a toyota.

I'm under the impression the Nissan V6's are great engines compared to the 3.0 Toy V6's. I would be looking for a 22re 4x4 xtra cab Toyota if it were me.

I'm under the impression the Nissan V6's are great engines compared to the 3.0 Toy V6's. I would be looking for a 22re 4x4 xtra cab Toyota if it were me.

Yeah that VG30 is almost unstoppable. I'd really rather prefer the 4cyl. I have had a ton of experience with nissans KA engine. I can learn the 22re I was more wondering if there is any drivetrain/body issues that would put one over the other.

Nissan have a limited aftermarket support. Toyota, well, that goes without saying. Gearing is limited for Nissan. KA engine will not handle the abuse of off-roading. The 22r/e will practically run up-side down. Especially the injected version. And, did Nissan ever offer a US solid axle truck? IFS simply sucks off-road. Youcould do a SAS and make it better but you will have to modify many things to get where a stock Toyota will get you.