Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best repair manual

So, after a few years hiatus from Subarus...I find myself with an '88 wagon. It seems to have a gremlin in or near the ignition switch as sometime it won't engage the "ON" position (key turns fine, engine will crank, but no power to the dash or elsewhere). Anyhow, I'd like to get my hands on a good repair manual. The Haynes book is OK, but somewhat lacking from what I remember. Can a real factory manual be had?? I notice CD Rom manuals being sold on Ebay but no mention of publisher. Are they worth a darn?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

I purchased the CD-Rom manual for my 06 Impreza, and it seems to be pretty much like any factory manual.

As for older manuals, keep an eye on Ebay, I managed to get bot the wiring and engine FSM for 84 there cheaply.

edit: Well, that's what I get for reading at work, Nipper beat me to it :)

"How to keep your Subaru alive" is certainly better than the Haynes or Chilton manuals (IMHO) and more entertaining too. However, you need to get the 2nd edition to get your '88 info. 1st edition only goes to '84.

Bentley manual is a rewrite of the shop manual; sadly it only covers up to '84. But it's the best, even better than the shop manuals for those years.

Factory service manuals are certainly the most useful for the "hardcore" among us, but they are pricey.

All of these can be found on ebay now and then. Also try Amazon, you might get lucky.

You'll pay more, but they'll likely have it in stock at www.books4cars.com ; they do mail order if you're not near Seattle.

Yeah, I've got How to Keep your Subaru Alive...not much help in the wiring or fuel injection department. Maybe I will try the CD Rom manual and see what happens (they're only about 10 bucks). Will keep an eye open for the "FSM" in paper form.

Thanks!

Chris

The factory manual is very good to have. I'm sure you will find one on Ebay if you keep looking.

The problem may be with the connection to the ignition switch so check the connector under the steering column and check for signs of burn damage there. Also check the fusible links for a bad connection in the plastic box mounted on the coolant reservoir.

It is really hard to beat the Factory Service Manuals.

eBay just had a very good condition FSM book-set for the 88 for $90 delivered; it might get reposted soon (if not already). I just received my set for my 88 XT from the same vendor and they look nearly new.

I also have a CD for my SVX, and although it is nicely organized, it has many mistakes where some pages were not included and others were repeated... sometimes 5 times.

Regarding Book vs. CD, I like having paper in front of me rather than a screen, but you can still print the parts you want from the CD. I like having a copy of the pages that I can get greasy, so prints from the CD are more convenient thatn trying to scan and print from the manual.

I agree with you NorthWet. Having both the factory set of manuals and a CD version is a great way to go. Even if you had to pay 100 dollars for a factory set of manuals it is still a bargin when you consider the time and money the manuals can save you by having them on hand when trouble happens. They can pay for themselves on the the first problem you use them on if they save you from taking it in to a shop for service. At the very least, the wiring manual is a must have item in my book.