Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Justy ?

I've got one. 5speed pushbutton 4wd. 4 door fuel injected one. Search for my posts with pics of it... and also, there's a website called dusty's justy's that has some good info, sales brochures, etc on it too. They are insanely hard to find, compared to EAseries cars.

So far I've only managed to get about 33mpg from mine, but the thermostat is stuck open which probably isn't helping... I've heard that 36 to 40mpg is possible for ones identical to mine. Fun little car to drive -- like a giant go cart. Peppier than most EA82's.

The auto transmission is actually a continuously variable transmission, that had a really poor reputation in the US for failing, but was apparently well liked overseas where there wasn't such long highway distances. It was used to prevent a normal auto transmission from sucking too much power out of such a small engine.

I think that 89 to 94 had the fuel injection, but I'm not sure. For a while, I think only the GL versions did, not the non-GL versions... but I'm not an expert on that.

Kind of off topic, but I've driven an old ('84 or 86 I think) honda civic with an automatic transmission, and it was quite nice, for being an automatic -- so apparently not all 80's small cars sucked when they had auto trannies.

what kind of gas mileage are you looking for?

depending what kind of driving you do a 1988-1991 FWD XT can get 40mpg highway. a 4WD would probably get 35 depending again on what kind of driving you're doing.

if you need the 4WD for snow driving then a FWD vehicle and a set of quality snow tires for the winter would actually be better than 4WD with regular all seasons.

The Justy does come in the single range 4WD MT, that's the one you want. The auto is ECVT. The '89 is the first year of the Gen 2 body style and I have seen both carbed and FI versions of it in the junkyards, so '90-'94 is FI. With a good engine most people seem to get about 35-42 mpg. 45 mpg is achieveable with a FI FWD, but a tired engine will drop to regular car mileage pretty easily.

Justy's are cool cars, but they have their cons. Some parts are hard to find and expensive. I think new struts go for over $350 each if you can find them. And the oil pump issue requires a machine shop mod to fully correct. I think they were designed to have the engine replaced at 90,000 miles. The odometer only has 5 digits, although I have seen that '94's have six digits.

If you want the high mpg's (which really aren't that high) you will probably be looking at doing some engine work. The plus side is that the engine is really simple. I'm just waiting for some $ to finish my rebuild. I like my Justy, but I am really only into it because of the 3 cylinder 4WD combo. I don't mean to sound discouraging, but other cars will give you the same or better mpg's with cheaper and more plentiful replacement parts. I would recommend the Justy if you are into it for more than just mpgs.

I like my Justy, but I am really only into it because of the 3 cylinder 4WD combo. I don't mean to sound discouraging, but other cars will give you the same or better mpg's with cheaper and more plentiful replacement parts. I would recommend the Justy if you are into it for more than just mpgs.

He's right.... if you don't seriously need 4wd, something like a honda civic or geo metro will be as good of or even better mpg, and with studded snow tires, will handle better than most 4wds in the snow anyway... and you can find parts:rolleyes:. I run 4wd and studded snow tires on my subies in the winter, and even then there are days when they just don't move... if I didn't live at 9,300 feet elevation where the snowdrifts and icefields are kind of rediculous for 4 or 5 months, I wouldn't have it. That being said, I do really like my little Justy.

Z