Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4wd indicator light glows while in FWD, (how to adjust indicator switch?)…

As the title says, my 4WD light glows while the car/shift lever is in FWD. This is not the Hi/Lo indicator, but the 4WD indicator.

The car is an ’85 EA82, 5 speed 4WD-Hi/Lo GL wagon.

With the shifter in FWD, the 4wd light will glow. Pushing down on the 4wd shift lever, the 4WD indicator will go out, but when I let go of the shifter lever, as the shift lever wiggles etc from engine and road vibrations, the lever will wiggle just enough to illuminate the 4WD light, even though the shift lever/transaxle is positively engaged in FWD.

In short, the 4WD light is prematurely illuminating and I am looking for a way to adjust either the switch or the shift linkage so the 4WD indicator will still function, but only illuminate after the trans is shifted into 4WD, not glow while in FWD. My Haynes manual is of no help and after crawling under the car, it appears this switch is on top of the transaxle at the rear, not really visible or easy to access, can't tell if it has any adjustment.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

There are two switches - one is in the tranny and one is on the linkage. I can't recall which is which. The tranny switches cannot be adjusted - they simply get replaced if they are bad.

The linkage switch is a micro-switch with an inch-long metal arm that can be bent to adjust the switch.

The EA81's are different, but similar in operation. Although I beleive the function of the two switches is opposite.

GD

There are two switches - one is in the tranny and one is on the linkage. I can't recall which is which. The tranny switches cannot be adjusted - they simply get replaced if they are bad.

The linkage switch is a micro-switch with an inch-long metal arm that can be bent to adjust the switch.

The EA81's are different, but similar in operation. Although I beleive the function of the two switches is opposite.

GD

The micro switch you are referring to is the Hi/Lo indicator switch and it is fine. It is the other switch that indicates when 4WD is engaged that I want to adjust.

I’m starting to get the impression that the switch I want to adjust is not really adjustable like I hope it would being in/on the transaxle and actuated internally, i.e. no amount of shift linkage adjustment will do anything other than affect the shift lever position, not alter "when" the switch illuminates the 4WD light.

If this hunch is correct, these are the options I see available in wanting to retain the 4WD and Hi/Lo indicator lights. (feel free to add more options...)

1) Just live with it the way it is. uhm.gif

2) Remove the bulb or disconnect the switch all together and go without 4WD dash indication. nono.gif

3) Bungy the shift lever down until I need to use 4WD. clown.gif

4) Rewire the 4WD indicator light to the Hi/Lo micro switch and then reposition the micro switch so that it indicates 4WD. This option eliminates Hi/Lo indication, which is really pretty self evident when engaged anyhow. whistle.gif

5) Add another switch at some point along the 4WD linkage and rewire the 4WD indicator to that switch. caffeine.gif

If the OE switch is not adjustable, I'm thinking #5.

I’m starting to get the impression that the switch I want to adjust is not really adjustable like I hope it would being in/on the transaxle and actuated internally, i.e. no amount of shift linkage adjustment will do anything other than affect the shift lever position, not alter "when" the switch illuminates the 4WD light.

Correct - the switch is just a simple plunger. The plunger is plastic and it rides on a notched shaft inside the transmission. The plastic plunger wears down then will not actuate the contacts in the switch body.

5) Add another switch at some point along the 4WD linkage and rewire the 4WD indicator to that switch. caffeine.gif

If the OE switch is not adjustable, I'm thinking #5.

I've done that when I needed a neutral switch for fuel injection. It's not hard to fab something up.

GD

on the brat i bet it is different but the 4wd switch is in the center console. on mine the little clips that hold the plunger snapped off so the swith just lays in there and it will indicate 4wd. the switch needs to be pushed in to turn off the 4wd light. you could just tape it in and go with no 4wd but still low. or just super glue something to the end of the plunger so it will cut off sooner. again i have a brat so.