Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlight fogging cleaning kit

I used Meguiar's #10 Clear Plastic Polish and only took 5 minutes with a soft, clean rag to get this result:

front10.jpg

I don't remember what I paid an 8 fluid ounce bottle of this stuff, but there's enough in the bottle to do 3 or 4 dozen headlamps!

In past years, we had glass headlights.:clap: Worked just fine, Cost just a small fraction of the current plastic ones to replace. No problem with them going opaque or yellowing like the plastic ones. European style, non sealed beam headlights had replaceable high intensity bulbs for great illumination. Came in just a few sizes (round or rectangular)unlike the current plastic ones that are made in hundreds of cinfigurations to fit individual make and model cars, which make them incredibly expensive.:eek:

Why this trend to form over function? What went wrong??? :confused: Just like the stupid trend to color coordinated, very easily damaged, and very costly to repair/replace bumpers ....don't get me started on that one!:rolleyes: Of course, Subaru followed the herd. O.K. rant over for now.:)

I used Meguiar's #10 Clear Plastic Polish and only took 5 minutes with a soft, clean rag .

I don't remember what I paid an 8 fluid ounce bottle of this stuff, but there's enough in the bottle to do 3 or 4 dozen headlamps!

Yeah, Meguiar's is pretty good, as long as you don't let the headlights get too hazy/oxidized before using it.

The secret to keeping your plastic headlights clear is to clean/polish them regularly.....like about every 10 days.

Yeah, Meguiar's is pretty good, as long as you don't let the headlights get too hazy/oxidized before using it.

The secret to keeping your plastic headlights clear is to clean/polish them regularly.....like about every 10 days.

Great, thanks for the input.

I think I will try a hybrid approach & do the 800/1500 wet sanding then use the Meguiar's and some type of buffing wheel.

i just picked up a kit from advance auto. basically the same with 2 differences, no polishing tool and therefore no directions for using a drill, and the polishing compound and sealer come in foil pouches, one use.

it was 19.99. seemed high for sand paper and stuff, but i had no idea hw to do it so that's worth somthing. they stress correct application of the sealer, 2 coats.

Another problem with plastic headlights is that they become pitted over time from gravel and road debris impact.

I've used plastic headlight protectors( the ones that I installed were made by 3M).

They're made of a clear,soft, flexible material with adhesive.

After about 6 years, I had to remove one of them due to it becoming heavily discolored, apparently from constant direct sunlight exposure; Couldn't remove the discoloration so I removed the protector. Pulled off pretty easily after first heating it with a hair dryer. But the adhesive remained on the headlight surface. It was a nightmare to clean off. Denatured alcohol didn't work. Was afraid to use a stronger solvent for fear of damaging the headlight surface. I used "Goop" cleaner and LOTS and LOTS of rubbing. Took quite a while. But those protectors do, indeed, work quite well.

But the adhesive remained on the headlight surface. It was a nightmare to clean off. Denatured alcohol didn't work. Was afraid to use a stronger solvent for fear of damaging the headlight surface. I used "Goop" cleaner and LOTS and LOTS of rubbing. Took quite a while. But those protectors do, indeed, work quite well.
A good solvent to use to remove adhesives is WD-40. Not sure if it works on the adhesive used for the headlamp protector, but works great on adhevise left behind from bumper stickers and similar plastics.

Use the WD-40 to dissolve and remove the glue and then brake cleaner or something similar to remove the WD-40.

Foggy lenses are a big pain and expensive to replace.

A quick and easy fix that will bring out the shine is a rub of the lenses with a rag barely wet with brake fluid.

Be quick and careful as it will soften the polycarbonate (that the right name of the material?).

It won't make them brand new but 2 minutes every so often helps a lot.

gl