Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlights 91 Legacy 1.8 carb wagon

Anyone know the solution to this one? Headlights on my 91 legacy don't work. The relays side lights work, but no dip or main beam. Everthing else is OK. The relays in the fuse box behind the battery operate when you switch from dips to mains but it seems to stop there. There appears to be power to this fusebox, and I cannot find a blown fuse in either fusebox, behind the battery or in drivers footwell. The earth from the headlight bulb plug appears to be ok and I am now officially confused :(

Also how big a job is changing the clutch. I have done engines and clutches on other cars but have never had to do a rear wheel drive or 4 wheel drive before

headlight connector.

Frankly from what you say I expect it to be a headlight switch or the relay if so equipped.

Ever since the day I saw all four beams out on one I check the headlight connector first.

That one was caused by a bad ground wire that grounded the whole system.

You got 1.8L carbed Liberty wagons over there? I thought the only 1.8s were in the Leones...

The clutch is a pain to replace. But the older ones last 150K+ miles (around 200,000kms?) so replacing a clutch once, maybe, in the lifetime of the car is well worth it.

If there's power to the light relay, then the switch should be fine. Are you sure the earth connexion is crud-free?