Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my '84 hatch...

scoobyclimbs

Greg

In the pictures you sent looks like you set the rear diff at 3" , I suggest you place it at 4" , may help the axle issue

In my opinion as a mechanic I think the terrain (uneven/offcamber) one wheel was a foot off the ground . I gassed it and the other side caught shock loading the powertransfer thru the welded diff. and the weakest link was the cup.

I will reset the rear to 4" if that's what you recommend Scott...

So your experience is that it is important to match the lift of the rest of the car, with the rear diff? I haven't wheeled mine yet but I only dropped it 2'' on a 4'' lift. I haven't had any problems on the road but like I said I haven't really tested it yet. Just wondering what your input is?! Thanks!

on a EA81 I would drop all points evenly

on a EA82 you can go 2" over stock on the front and 1" on the rear

• 1 month later...

I've been busy over the holidays...my camera finally died so I got a new one...

I got an Accel supercoil for $25...fabbed a custom bracket plus some new Accel wires, Ngk plugs and fuel filters changed..

ea81coil.jpg

The am/fm stock radio was killing me after awhile...I hunted on Craigslist and found a used Premier cd/radio for $35 and new 5.25" 3-wayspeakers $20 for the rear( I used the side pockets in the rear ) Abit of plywood/cutout,speaker fabric and some self drilling screws to mount them.

speakerbox.jpg

The front speakers I used a 3.5" coaxials for $9.95 via the net in the stock locations..with minor modification to mount.

frontspeakers.jpg

The slant radio console I cutout the am/fm radio slot to fit the new headunit in place . I went to tap plastics and bought some scrap and had them cut it out for me and I mounted via screws over the old fascia.

I then decided to use up some black plastic paint I had and paint the console to match the new fascia..

beforepaint.jpg

console.jpg

fininshedconsole.jpg

The Gm 100amp alt conversion is next...

Edited by scoobyclimbs

Wow.. nice Job Gregg! It's been a long time since I have talked to you. I recall you telling me you purchasing this, but never had the chance to see it. I read all 9 pages and up to date finally.

Looks awesome and congrats. Great job on write-up. Can't wait to see it in person. I return from Australia February 20th for my 3 weeks off so I will HAVE TO drive down there to come visit you and Carston once again.

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Years. Will catch up with you sometime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I needed abit more juice to run lights & accessories..

We had one in the shop "freebe":banana:

So I modified the bracketry to fit the monster gm alternator.

Abit of cutting /welding or the stock bracket and adjustment arm spacing(welding in shims of about 3/4"). as stock bracket are easy to find in upullit.

I used a napa belt Pn# 25-1365

The car idles and runs better overall and lights are brighter..single best upgrade yet ...:banana:

gmalt1.jpg

gm100a.jpg

Edited by scoobyclimbs

• 1 month later...

I'm thinkin' that's gonna work out pretty good. :)

And at only 22 lbs. It wont be an anchor on the front.

The big winches work out great on bigger rigs but adding 80 pounds to the front of a Roo just seems like you'll be using the winch to get out of the situations IT put you in. (as in, without the 80 pound winch hanging off the front you proly would not have gotten stuck half the time in the first place :lol: )

Little further forward. but that one should basically be not much more than having the spare back under the hood.

And be plenty for all but the nastiest situations.

May want to do something with your grill to get it in closer.

Could take it off and just mesh in close to the rad like how I did on mine..... but you could make it look nicer. I was in a hurry/ it's my wastland vehicle. :grin:

Looks pretty good! Not bad for a spray can. My only question is, what's with the overspray?? Guess it's all personal opinion but I would at least cover everything before painting. But looks like a real good rig, and sounds like you have a lot of fun with it!! Can't wait to see the winch on it!!

Looks pretty good! Not bad for a spray can. My only question is, what's with the overspray?? Guess it's all personal opinion but I would at least cover everything before painting. But looks like a real good rig, and sounds like you have a lot of fun with it!! Can't wait to see the winch on it!!

hehe, I talked to him about that. He said "it's a wheeler, I just held up some cardboard over the stuff I didn't want painted."

Kinda my feeling on it now too.

I spent a day carefuly masking and taking apart my Soob for it's first paintjob.

The next one, when it gets it's "panzer camo" job......

Screw it, I'm just gonna remove the lights and mirrors, paint it up, and scrape the overspray off the windows. :lol:

Pretty nice. I envisioned a more "chocolate" brown. I like the greyish brown reality better. :)

Overspray....really the only overspray was on the bumpers ..

If you read the earlier post about a custom bumper for the winch those bumpers won't be there..(besides both bumpers are banged up . So abit of overspary ain't gonna hurt em..there are so many dings on this car if anything the camo blends it in bettter..

It's not a show car and if it is it'll have a large spattering of mud...:grin:

I plan on doing more green/khaki in the paint scheme..

This summer I might do the body work and paint..we'll see..

• 3 weeks later...

I've been busy upgrading much needed compenents of the hatch..

A rear mounted fire extinguisher in the hatch and power port for compessor, etc...

powerport.jpg

extinguisher.jpg

I dreaded the black hole when I opened the hatch at night so I added a six LED light mounted on the hatch and it is so bright..the pic below is stand alone with no flash from the camera..!

htachlt.jpg

hatchlight.jpg

Next I had started onthe camo paint..abit of green/black..I need to finish..but you get the idea...

I had purchased a 3,500lb winch and needed to fab a bumper

so here is some progress...I used thin walled tubing .065" and some other peices..it's very light but strong...!

I used the corners of the factory bumper to fill in the big gap left at the ends...Then mounted LED marker and turn signal lamps..

fbump.jpg

camo1.jpg

bumperlights.jpg

fbump1.jpg

winch1.jpg

So much to do... so little time...:grin:

I've been busy upgrading much needed compenents of the hatch..

fbump.jpg

winch1.jpg

So much to do... so little time...:grin:

Gregg

like the winch, been lookin at those on ebay would like to see it work, tell us how you like it, does it do what yopu want it to do? get that thing stuck and pull it out, good times :brow:

I'm almost done with the camo the roof is the only part left..

Abit more braces welded in the bumper...

I had abit of a setback the night before when my rear u-joint was coming apart..:eek:...lucky I didn't drop the driveline....whew..!

So I changed both U-joints..

rrearcamo.jpg

frontcamo.jpg