Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my '84 hatch...

scoobyclimbs

Sounds Kool! You can get a truckbed liner kit from rustoleum for a bill, if that'd be cheaper than having it done. It's a black, textured epoxy and enough to do a whole bed with. Can't wait to see pics. :headbang:

That's kinda what I was thinkin' ...I might score some WRX seats for the front. Snorkel will be a must...& 4" lift oughta do it...:headbang:

here's one for now...more to come....yes ..It's virgin to offroad...the undercarriage is so clean.....:eek:underbodyhatch.jpg

It's very straight inside and out....hatchint.jpg

the rear seats need a cover or just taken out..

looks like a dog had it's way with it...:dead:hatchintII.jpg

The motor is so clean and runs so smooth for 172k....not one oil, coolant or exhaust leak on her....:banana:ea81.jpg

I think I found a diamond in the rough....

I also won an ea/ej SJR adapter plate @ WCSS10....:headbang: not bad for $20 in raffle tickets!

I don't have to paint it ...it was yellow...now it's wheeler black...fronthatch.jpg

I think Team CF's wagon gave birth...his is an '83...lol

It also needs a new blower motor....

Too boot it has good tags thu '09......!

So my total investment is $270 add $80 for clutch and She's ready to go....with the ea81...I'll get the EJ22 ready..

sidehatch.jpg

here's one for now...more to come....yes ..It's virgin to offroad...the undercarriage is so clean.....:eek:

It's very straight inside and out... Not for long

The motor is so clean and runs so smooth for 172k....not one oil, coolant or exhaust leak on her....:banana:Yet

I don't have to paint it ...it was yellow...now it's wheeler black... I think Bright Bright Yellow would be awesome

sidehatch.jpg

great maybe we could wheel together in a month or so

I went through the car last night and completly chking everything out.

I replaced the battery..it was toast:dead: $55

alternator charging @14v ok...

had the door locks rekeyed..as the owner lost them...:dead: $29

replaced fubar'd locking gas cap $11

Replaced missing rear hatch wiper

a few burned out bulbs ....

shop vac'd the interior... found some change..:grin:

ordered front brake hoses...cracking to the core..:eek:

psi chk'd cooling system ...found a small leak @ radiator ..I can solder that..needs a flush and fresh coolant anyway...+10*

Hoses chk'd could use radiator hoses, heater hoses..

cleaned the carb/linkage runs a bit better now /choke works great..

I did find some small oil leaks @ valve covers(loose bolts)+ oil pan gasket(loose bolts). I will reseal those when I pull the motor to do the clutch.

The motor runs great up to about 5k then not so great above that..needs a valve adjust...that'll be done when the motor is pulled.

The only things that don't work are the blower motor, am/fm radio...:rolleyes:

Ign. switch is ok but I need to get it rekeyed...(owner lost key..:dead: )

For now It is unbolted from the back side two screws.. a flathead screwdriver starts it up ok...:grin:

I'd rather have a key vs..toggle switch...keeps it nice....abit more secure unless they want it that bad...

I found a water leak from the rains here the left rear window seal... the latch doesn't pull tight as it should.worn out seal/latch...so the out goes the carpeting...was gonna do that anyway....

I found it interesting comparing to my '03 outback how much Subaru is basically the same...they still use the same fasters..and similar designs..just updated...pretty kewl...:headbang:

I found some loose connections for the am/fm radio....It works...:banana:

what do ya think the first song that came on ...92fm kgon....?

"old time rock' & roll"...by Bob Segar....so kewl ....the factory speakers sounds great for old skool....:headbang:

I also tore apart the blower motor...one of the brushes was just gone....dissintegrated...to dust...I hope to find another soon...

I found some loose connections for the am/fm radio....It works...:banana:

what do ya think the first song that came on ...92fm kgon....?

"old time rock' & roll"...by Bob Segar....so kewl ....the factory speakers sounds great for old skool....:headbang:

I also tore apart the blower motor...one of the brushes was just gone....dissintegrated...to dust...I hope to find another soon...

Gonna try to replace the brush? Or the whole motor?

Or whichever is easier to find. :)

You may be able to take the motor to a motor repair and they might be able get ya a new brush to pop in. Never looked at one though so I don't know how easy/hard that would be on a Soob blower.

What about that wagon in the JY near you? Take a jumper box and see if it works.

Why are you putting all that work into the motor? I thought you were going to put an EJ in it.

I think he's doing what I'm doing.

Getting it going again for now to go out and play while all the parts for a transformation are gathered. (at least that sounded like his plan last time I talked to him)

I'm putting a new engine and 5 speed in mine.

But just did the 4 speed's clutch cause I don't quite have all the parts to do the swap yet. And well. I wanna wheel now. Couldn't see letting it sit for several months while I got things prepped. :)

well ..I guess I got some labor done today...

Removed both front brake hoses only to find the replacements were too short....:dead:

My original hoses were 20" from end to end the raybestos hoses were 19"..

I made some calls to napa, schucks, autozone ..surfed the web..(rockauto.com)

Napa, schucks had 19" hoses..:dead:

autozone had 19.5" hoses:dead:

Rockauto no info....but good deals on hoses...:-\

I just capped off the hardlines and calipers so they won't leak ...

The hoses were cracking to the core...not safe in my book unless they are spares in jam...:eek:

Oh yeah ...I pulled the motor for a complete reseal and clutch...this has to be the simplest motor pull I've ever done in two hours...that includes draining oil, coolant, pulling radiator,clutch assembly....bet I could do it in an hour. ..next time..

I did find a right front inside CV boot torn...no biggie..

I didn't even use air tools...:grin:

badbrakeline.jpg

ea81motorpull.jpg