Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have had no problems with a craftsman deep well thinned walled socket.....place the socket in the plug well--> attach your 3in extension--> attach rachet and remove plug. Do in reverse to put in new plug, just take care when threading the plug not to cross thread the hole. I have done this numerous times with success.

Good luck.

ok, i'm a dummy, sort of. i have various socket sets , some sae some metric, none very expensive. the spark plug sockets in the older, sae sets were to big, but they also didn't fit the new spark plugs, i didn't even check that yesterday. the plug socket from my cheaper set does in fact fit both the plugs and the hole they are mounted in. i knew i'd done it before.

on a side note, think i'm going to assemble a set of sockets that are actually used on subarus, and dump the rest (4 - 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 16, etc.) into a box that i keep in the shed. i have 3 metric socket sets, 1/4", 1/2", and then a 1/4" with a few 3/8" pieces. and yet i still only have one 14mm socket and i had to buy that one seperate. apparently 14mm is too big for 1/4" drive and it didn't come with my 1/2" set, go figure.

oh yeah, if any one cares, you need a deep well 14 mm for the exhaust to head bolts, you can do it with a short socket, but it would be a lot easier with a deep , 6 point socket.