Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Chipped crankshaft pulley...

After waiting for NBC to show Phelps getting his 8th gold, I went out to get some food. As I was driving along, the brake, charge and power steering light all came on. The steering got stiff and so I pulled over. Turns out the crankshaft bolt came loose. I wasn't able to tighten it with the belts on the pulleys by hand so I took it off and it got chipped when it fell out of my hands onto the ground.

Now it has a nick in it and I am afraid it will cut into the belts when I put it back on. Will it be ok or should I replace it? Where can I get another one?

It'll be ok for a short time, but I would get another one.

Did the same thing myself basically, knocked mine off the workbench. Used it for quite a while before finding another, no belt damage noted. But that could be an exception instead of the norm...

+1 on getting a new one as soon as practical, but...

I got a free Datsun pickup 3 years ago. About 2 years ago I finally got around to try and time it, and found that the the section of pulley that the marks were on was gone... along with several other more minor pieces of the pulley. It was nick city. I got a replacement, but life got in the way and I have yet to replace the pulley. I can't see any excessive wear/damage to the belts, and the engine runs smoothly.

Sanding any rough edge should get you through, but I am sure that you could get a replacement pretty cheaply.

Rockauto.com has the Genuine Subaru Part # 12305AA001 crank pulleys for $20.79 + shipping.

I looked at Rock Auto and couldn't find it until you came along. I must be a really lame searcher. It happens as you get older, or maybe just as I get older. Now if only the hearing will go so I don't have to listen to little kids screaming their lungs out when I go out to eat.

Thanks.