Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dynamat and other sound heat and vib mats: Compare

Dynamat and other sound heat and vib mats: Compare

So who all is using Dynamat sound heat and vib mats???

Anyone using other brands???

$28 for 2 10"x10" pieces of Dynamat

http://www.dynamat.com/store/store-car.asp

Some roll on crap

http://www.quietcar.net/?gclid=CKvz9b-OlpUCFQIWFQodaVy9HQ

Stuff called 2nd skin that is pricy like dyna

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

Hushmat

Starter Kit - 4 square feet

$40.00

http://www.hushmat.com/new/Performance/index.htm

And I found smitty mats about 1/3 the pirce of them all.

http://SmittyMats.com/

Go with Dynamat.

There's a reason the stuff is more expensive. It's because they've earned the reputation of working incredibly well. I layed some of this down inside my Nova while we were painting it. You wouldn't believe the difference versus some of the other stuff I've used.

I was convinced to use it by a friend at a local stereo shop. They won't use anything else on high end installs, and this is only after a few years of trying every product on the market.

Its all nothing but rubber or closed cell foam with a foil backing, it should not cost any where near what it does. Don't care how well it works, its all a rip.

$28 for 2 10x10in pieces. total rip off.

And why 10x10 insted of 12x12???

They can sell you more.

Im not gonna spend all that money just so they can sponsor racing.

Where all the money goes. LIke godaddy, their prices are getting high and high and on some things it beyond reason, compared to what it use to be. But since they got 4-5 racers to sponsor, I gotta pay more???

slowly moving everything to namecheap

I have never used any other rubber that weighed that much. Dynamat is incredibly dense stuff and that's why it works. The others on that last are not as dense, they do not appear to deaden as well. I have sat in cars with other materials and comapred similar systems with different deadening materials, there is a difference and dynamat really does work.

The simple test is to buy the 10" x 10" of each and place them in a sub box...see which one sounds best. Hint: It's the one with the Dynamat.

Personally, in a car as underpowered as a NA Subaru, the added weight of the dynamat is not something I'm willing to deal with...I'll deal with the road noise.

I have used Dyanamat to deaden a Dodge Dakota and '63 Nova with a small block V8 in it. They both had the power to move the added weight without impacting their already terrible fuel economy...and gas was cheaper then!

If I were to deaden my Outback, I would sooner consider adding a layer of carpet padding. Not as effective as Dynamat, but MUCH lighter.

Its all nothing but rubber or closed cell foam with a foil backing, it should not cost any where near what it does. Don't care how well it works, its all a rip.

They can sell you more.

Where all the money goes. LIke godaddy, their prices are getting high and high and on some things it beyond reason, compared to what it use to be. But since they got 4-5 racers to sponsor, I gotta pay more???

They can sell you more.

So, if you already have your mind made up; why ask for the comparison?

People here have told you that their EXPERIENCE has proven Dynamat to be a superior product. Whether it be the science that the company has invested in, or dumb luck: Dynamat is the best out there.

It may all be a rip, but if so; why do you even care? If you don't want to use it, just shove some old dish cloths under your carpet.

Or buy the cheap stuff, and be pissy when it doesn't do a very good job.

You gotta pay to play.

• 4 weeks later...

Did my roof and was impressed with the changes.

Never had a headlinner in it. Though I did use the chrome duct tape instead.

Just member foil and hot contacts don't go together. Thought id just push the prongs for the doam light through it. Spark spark fizzle and pop goes the fuse.

Also the area right behind the bulb filiment had to be trimmed, it was making the stuff smoke. But only the small area where the bulb filiment was.

Thought of this as I guess they found Ebay and are using a cleaver way to get traffic.

Sell $1 bills for 80cents shipped

Or could be for feedback, I know you need like 15-20 to be able to list more then auctions or something like that.

myworld.ebay.com/smittymats

Yea, I didn't mean to sound bias earlier but I just can't afford to spend $10 a square ft when I know half of the price is just for the name.

I went with SmittyMats.com

Works great and the 12ft roll was only 2lbs including the cardboard tube.

Though they don't measure well, I had a good 14-15ft on my roll.

Shhhhhhh

• 2 weeks later...

When doing my door panel, I put back the factory plastic and stuff and I wasn't sure how I would cut n fit around everything easy so there is so much junk.

Bingo idea, don’t cover the door, cover the backside of the interior door panel.

It’s going to work near the same, but was easy to lay and cut where needed

[ allot more flat], I can also access the inside of the door later easy with out mat to remove. Laid it just on the inside of the plastic pins that hold it on. That way the edge sucks down and hides that its there.

using the smittymats.com junk

Not to tromp on your idea or anything, but you would actually be far better off using it on the actual door.

Judging from your name, I'm guessing you are dealing with an older GM product. Having worked on just a handful :lol: of older GMs, I can tell you that you are way better off actually getting this foam in contact with steel.

One of the major purposes for high density sound deadeners is to stop revirb. Generally, the larger the car; the bigger the revirb problem is going to be. Especially after the sheet metal has aged over 30 years. The laxness in the sheet metal will actually cause sound, and the foam will help eliminate the large sheets ability to create sound by creating more rigid points, and cells to absorb that energy. I've had the best success by putting the foam in the middle of large, unbraced sections of door, trunk, floor pan, roof, c pillar, even hood. I put some extra strips I had lying around under the trunk lid of my Nova, and you could actually see the "oil canning" style vibrations (from the motor running) stop.

The inside of the door panel will still sound deaden, but it will not actually help to eliminate one of the major sound causing problems, and that's one of this products key design elements.