Ultimate Subaru Message Board

78 DL Wagon Needs Body Parts

I have a 1978 DL Wagon that needs some TLC. I am somewhat attached to it and am unable to let it go.

• where can I get body parts i.e. fenders, etc. There are other rusted pieces but I will start with this for now.
  • CV joints (or can they be rebuilt)

Another question: are there other models/years where the body or mechanical parts are interchangeable i.e. brat/1979 wagons etc

Body parts are a challenge, but they can still be found. Many guys are hoarding them, so begging helps sometimes! LOL. Seriously, check eBay often. Check www.car-part.com Posting on this board helps too.

Mechanical parts are far easier to find and often interchange with MANY other Subis from the early 70s to the early 80s.

Best, Todd

www.vintagesubaru.com

Body parts are a challenge, but they can still be found. Many guys are hoarding them, so begging helps sometimes! LOL. Seriously, check eBay often. Check www.car-part.com Posting on this board helps too.

Mechanical parts are far easier to find and often interchange with MANY other Subis from the early 70s to the early 80s.

Best, Todd

www.vintagesubaru.com

Thanks Todd, this information is much appreciated. ... This will help in getting my search started.

77 to 79 wagons will work and 78-81 Brats will work for parts interchangeability. Here is a link to the axles: http://www.ccrengines.com/mwe/index.html He makes a great rebuild. There are other places that you can get the axles at though. The MWE axles are really well built though.

Thanks ... this will get me started on my hunt for parts.

Thanks ... this will get me started on my hunt for parts.

Hi there

Can you confirm - when you said that 78-81 Brat parts are interchangeable, did you also mean "body parts" ... I noticed a Subaru Brat 77 79 fender available on ebay?

All 4 door cars from late 77 thru 1979 will be able to donate doors to your wagon too. The front glass is the same all on ALL 77-81 BRATS, wagons, 4 door and 2 door cars, except the GF hardtop. Rear bumpers will also work from all cars.

Todd