Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4x8 plywood in Legacy Outback?

Hello,

I used to have a 92 Legacy. I seem to remember being able to get a 4x8 sheet of material in the back....maybe I am wrong. But, I am considering buying a 98 Legacy Outack and want to know if it will accomodate a 4x8 sheet...it's the width i'm concerned about; the hatch can stay open.

Thanks,

Daniel

don't think that a 4x8 sheet of plywood or similar will fit..

but.. I fit a twin size matteras and twin size boxsping in the back with the back seats folded down.. . barely fit, but it did and was able to shut the tailgate.

much more room that my 84 gl sw

I'll check my 97 OB when I get home but I doubt it.

Hello,

I used to have a 92 Legacy. I seem to remember being able to get a 4x8 sheet of material in the back....maybe I am wrong. But, I am considering buying a 98 Legacy Outack and want to know if it will accomodate a 4x8 sheet...it's the width i'm concerned about; the hatch can stay open.

Thanks,

Daniel

You might be able to figure that out with a tape measure.

I would be very surprised if it does fit in there though I know the Soobs can handle a good load. My Chrysler van can handle a sheet of plywood inside it but that is different in size of course. I have put full sheets on top of the luggage rack of the Soob. You have to be very careful that it doesn't become a sail when you do that.

Turbone: Well, if I had a Legacy outback convenient to me I would measure it with a tape measure. But I don't, so I am asking here. It doesn't seem like there is a conclusive answer posted yet...although I've now realized I'm posting in the wrong section...but if anyone knows for sure, I'd appreciate it.

I just measured my '96 OBW and your options are either to put a sheet above the cargo cover and back seats (with them up) or diagonally with the seats down. But with the diagonal option you could only get one maybe two sheets in at a time.

A '98 is the same body style as mine, not sure if the 2000's + have more room between the wheel well/towers, but I doubt it would be enough.

the limiting factor is not the hatch, it's the strut towers just behinf the seats.

i used to do remodleing work out of my 90 nissan pick up with a tool box and a truck cap which was always full of tools. so i used to carry plywood on top of the tool box with the tail gate in the closed position. you could do something similar using a board long enough to reach from window to window in the rear resting on the plastic window trim. then you could lay the plywood on the top of the rear seats (please protect from damage) and this new support. i wouldn't carry more than a couple of sheets, but it would ride pretty flat. you could even pull down the hatch until it hit the plywood and then tie it off to help hold it in.

just don't slam on the brakes, or it will become a real pain in the neck.

If your living situation allows it, an ultilty trailer is an excellent addition to any Subaru. I own a Forester, partly, for its towing capaity. In fact, the towing capacity of the Forester far exceeds the storage capacity of the car. The utility trailer allows me to handle full sheets of plywood, my GF's trike, and landscaping materials (sand, gravel, sod) that I would rather not put IN the car. It's like owning a pickup truck without having to drive around in an ugly, low mpg box. Although a gun rack does go better with the pickup.

1996 Legacy Brighton. It takes 4X8 plywood sheets flat on top of the strut towers.

I just put some duck tape there for protection.

Of course the hatch does'nt close. Open all windows and the ventilation fan to max if you dont want to inhale exhaust gases.

Just brought home some 4'x4' plywood pieces and they sat flat on top of the strut towers.

This was in a '97 Outback. The tightest part was through the hatch. The plastic trim will scratch if not protected.

With the front seats forward, a 4'x6' piece would fit with the hatch closed.

Not bad considering that a full sheet, 4'x8', won't fit inside the old full size Caprice wagons either, tailgate has to be dropped...