Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can you grease the Steering knuckles on EA82?

Just wondering if you can grease the steering knuckles on the EA82, Cause my wagons got a small amount of (left to right) play in thr passenger wheel. You don't feel it in the steering wheel, but if you grab the wheel and try to move it left and right theres a little play/give. The drivers side isnt't like that.

just wondering if theres a way to grease it, or is it just a solid non-greaseable deal?

Thanks, Tom :)

Frank B, Hmmmm, Tie rod huh. Didn't think about that, Cause I pulled and tryed to move the tie rods and nothing. But I'll move the wheel "Left to Right" again and see what else I see.

Miles, Yeah the little movment is "left to right" as if you were turning the wheel. A even move detailed way to describe it is, If you had your left hand on the rear part of the tire pushing towards the wheel well and your right Hand pulling towards you, That left to right play. Hope thats more clear then confuseing Lol. The play is just a little, I don't feel any slop while I'm driving, The steering is tight like it should be. I'll look at the tie rod(s) more clearly and see whats what.

Numbchux, Yeah grease ain't gonna do much on a warn object Lol :)

Thanks guys! I'll check it out tommorw.

L8R

The play could be in the inner tie rods too, the ones under the boots in the steering rack.

Hmmm, ok. thats another thought.

Well from what I saw when I laided under the car and moved the wheel a little, Looks like it might be a bearing, Cause the only thing that moves is the Rim/tire, As a bad bearing would do. So I dunno. If it gets more play in it then I'll worrie about it.

But if it was a bearing wouldn't you hear it? I know when the the wheel bearing on my parents 99' Blazer (S-10) was going, you could hear it.

BTW, When I hit surton bumps (Mostly going slow or stoping) I hear a clink clink sound once and a while, Like a tie rod would sound. I can't seem to find anything that looks wore, and when I yank on them they don't move, even when the car is off the gound. I'm not really that worried about it at the moment, I was just looking for some insight.

Thanks again! :)

What works best for me is to jack up one side of the car at a time and have someone else move the tire back and forth while you watch the joints closely. Tell them not to jerk the tire back and forth hard, just enough to take up the slack. Take a drop light or flashlight under the car with you.

Also while you're under there, have your helper take a long breaker bar or 2x4 and pry up and down under the tire so you can check for lower ball joint play.

PS Use a jackstand next to the jack while you're under the car just in case...

sounds like the wheel bearing. you wont hear the noise like a blazer because these are ball bearing with 2 races that the spindle pressed thru vs. a roller bearing seating the rotor on the blazer.

you might not notice the handling at first, but you will hear a slight growl turning one direction but not the other. once there is enough play you may hear the rotor clacking around and if it's bad enough the rotor will hit the caliper bracket, or wear the brake pads at a slant.

there are usually 2 causes to bad wheel bearings, which otherwise would last the life of the car:

1. worn seals allowing dirt to contaminate the bearings

2. loose axle nut or bad cone washers not holding torque

if you need help with the bearings i have the tools, just holler. the job will take within 2 hours, you can bring the car here to milwaukee.

anyway keep it posted.

What works best for me is to jack up one side of the car at a time and have someone else move the tire back and forth while you watch the joints closely. Tell them not to jerk the tire back and forth hard, just enough to take up the slack. Take a drop light or flashlight under the car with you.

Also while you're under there, have your helper take a long breaker bar or 2x4 and pry up and down under the tire so you can check for lower ball joint play.

PS Use a jackstand next to the jack while you're under the car just in case...

Alright, I'll try that this weekend. Yeah the jack stand would be a good idea Lol :grin:

sounds like the wheel bearing. you wont hear the noise like a blazer because these are ball bearing with 2 races that the spindle pressed thru vs. a roller bearing seating the rotor on the blazer.

you might not notice the handling at first, but you will hear a slight growl turning one direction but not the other. once there is enough play you may hear the rotor clacking around and if it's bad enough the rotor will hit the caliper bracket, or wear the brake pads at a slant.

there are usually 2 causes to bad wheel bearings, which otherwise would last the life of the car:

1. worn seals allowing dirt to contaminate the bearings

2. loose axle nut or bad cone washers not holding torque

if you need help with the bearings i have the tools, just holler. the job will take within 2 hours, you can bring the car here to milwaukee.

anyway keep it posted.

Alright I'll keep all this in mind, The other thing that sucks about the S-10Blazers/pickups is that if a bearing is going you can't just replace the bearing, You gotta replace the whole hub :rolleyes:

How hard could wheel bearings be? If I can do cam carrier seals/orings, Timing blets and an oil pump. This can't be any harder Lol. But I know I can holler at ya if I need help. :headbang: Least your closer now, Insted of being in Madison.

Thanks guys

I have determined that the small amount of play in the passenger wheel, Is caused by a bearing that is dry or going. Cause today on a smooth road I sweved the car back and forth a little and theres a noise that gets louder when you swerve right (Pulling the passenger side wheel out) and gets a little quieter when you sweve left (Pushing the passenger side wheel in) I always thoghut it was just the tires making the noise, But I think I'm worng. So the side bearings are prolly getting woren, Prolly like Miles said "Somehow dirt got in there contaminating the grease inside and making the grease crappy/dirty.

Does anyone know of a good helpful link about replaceing/greaseing Front wheels bearings on an EA82. If so please post it. If not I'll look it up, No biggie :)

Thanks again for the help everyone!