Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stereo install

Hi all,

this is my first post, and i must say, very impressed with the quality iv seen throughout the other threads. I had a pretty thorough look, but couldnt find any links or advice on installing stereo. (samo's post wasnt quite right for my vehicle). im putting a new head in my 88 GL touring wagon, but cant find the right wiring diagrams.

Any help greatly appreciated,

scoobyDownUnder

What wiring diagram do you need? Was the plug behind your radio cut before? You should just need an adapter you can get from crutchfield to match the aftermarket wires to the adapter.

And I ran all new 12 gauge speaker wire for my speakers, so I'm not a whole lot of help for fixing the common ground issue.

why buy a adapter.... just cut the harness off the back of the stock radio and there u go an instant adapter that can be unpluged.... find the constent / switched/ ground and the speakers are easy to figure out i used the trial and error way but w/e

Depends on what you are doing. Some people like to keep the stock radio to reinstall when they sell the car. And if you use an adapter, the wire colors will match that of the aftermarket radio... eliminating the need for a wiring diagram. (Buy the radio from Crutchfield and the adapter + install instructions are all free :banana: )

And I don't know exactly what you did trial and error, but crossing the wrong wires on a aftermarket highpower radio can blow up the internal amp pretty much instantly. So that's something to be careful about.