Ultimate Subaru Message Board

8" lift done!! pics of travel and car!!

Rooinater

Looks like you did the turbo style exhaust huh? I say that because I see a crossover pipe laying on the floor in that last photo. No more busted y-pipes for Jared. How did John do the strut tops? Are they similar to what he did on the Beast or a new design?

So how do you like driving it now with the added elevation and gears?

it's rolling on 31's, 8" lift, 5 speed d/r, ea82 suspension, power steering, nissan tcase, 4.11 gears, lsd in the front and welded/open rearends...

the exahust is a dual, not the turbo. but do to the fact the engine is back in original position, the exhaust tucks straight under the motor and over the front engine crossbmember. so there's no way i can hit that exahaust without landing straight on it. no cats on the exahaust either.

it's cruising great at highway speeds!! more get up and go then it had before the built motor. but i top out around 75 on the freeway.

sorry sean i didn't call before going through medford. i couldn't get your # off the pm, do to the board being down. i'm sorry. i'll have to stop by next time i come through.

not sure when i'll get back. hopefully in may. for a day or 2.

http://usmb.net/gallery/album134

Here are some pix of us today in Sacramento on the American river. We drove to the ORV park, but for some reason the park is closed on wednesdays (and only wednesdays).

So i took him to the river for some river access off-roading. Got some good shots. Also got a good "evolution" shot:

rooinater_015.jpg

-Brian

the car is not a joke. so why would you say anything about it being a joke? it's an extremely capble machine, and more capable than yours. why is it a joke? cause it's not. just because it's not your standard subaru doesn't mean. it's a joke. so grow up and watch your mouth.

anyways back to topic.

Hmm, I though he said the joke thing as a joke.:(

Anyway. The car looks like it sits really well. The T-case conversion seems to be getting real popular. I mean with a 4inch body lift on my Loyal I can clear 30's and if I really hacked up the fender wells I'm sure I could get some 31's under there, but at this point I would have no crawling ability. That is what I like about the T-case conversion, plus it's makes it alot easier and cheaper to get a front LSD.

The only thing is that when you get to the point of using a devorce transfer you kinda straying away from it being a Subaru drivetrain anymore. You may as well do a strait axle swap with all the fabricating you have to do. At least they are proven to twist:rolleyes:

Just wondering at what point does a lifted Subaru just become a Subaru body on a truck chassis?

P.S. I have been mulling around the idea of putting some Samurie Spl? axles under a Justy with an EJ22T power plant, custom 4 links with coilovers and room for 37's. I have the Justy and the Samurie.:D

i have a set of toyota axles and tcase that i could pick up and put in. the reason i left subaru running gear is. it's only the tcase and a couple drivelines, that are not suby, the rest is all subaru! that's why. i almost threw the toy gear in. but wanted my subaru to still be mainly subaru. my next project i'll probably through solid axles for kicks.

the next question to ask is. when does a yota or jeep become a just a body and frame, with no ground roots. completely differant drivetrains and suspensions?? they are still considered toy's.

Sarcasm *can* work in writing - you just have to write it to the lowest common denominator - in the army we call this "breaking it down to the lowest level". Difficult but not impossible.

I still say it's a Subaru - Jared has a point in that the Jeeps and Yota's that are heavily modded are no better - they are not stock either - so what's the difference? I say "not stock" is the same no matter how you cut it. Call it what you want - it's really "formerly built by Subaru". Just cause someone has personalized it does not change where it came from in the first place. Is a Saleen mustang not an f-word anymore? Jareds soob is just as much a subaru as my lifted wagon is - he can off-road with me any time.

GD

Looking good! And welcome to the club! It may have 2 extra parts, but it's still a Subaru. Due to the fact that it has it's own custom frame, not "just a truck frame". Also look at every other 4by truck out there. They have straight axles under em, at least one, if not two. Soobs have independant suspension, and still do, even if you have this conversion. This sets it apart from pretty much every other truck out there, and in the league with one of the best off road rigs out there (that also has fully independant suspension. But I'm rambling off topic.

Lookin good man. And when you come back up, you better stop off in Medford!! Or I'm gonna drive up to your place and do doughnuts on your lawn :D (You should now know how fun it is, being RWD!)

Congratulations Jared. Good to see the R&D getting underway immediately. Nice to see John's garage biz producing! How did you do it with deadlines by going out there yourself. Seems like John likes to work with an audience. **Just bustin' John's chops a little bit--no disrespectin** Good stuff I hope you like it. That's the badass-est 1600 wagon I know. Also thanks for the pictures I have enjoyed this thread a bunch. It is nice you got to visit some of the USMB on your drive back.

Ross in Idaho

i think it looks nice. pretty unique and cool. i would drive that guy around, i bet you get a lot of looks and questions huh?

how did you get the tcase to hook up? and do the lift, is still just a huge body lift or are there any suspention mods done? i am very curious as to how this works. in all retrospect how does it fair off road as compared to its more popular counterparts(jeeps and trucks)? looks good none the less.