Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 Brat: Solid Axle Build *** DONE! :) ***

mcbrat

Nice! I see full-floaters. Is that the FROR setup?

yep! the Celica calipers are defintely a different beast than the soob ones... I've got an ebrake set-up out of a '97 4Runner to put in sometime too... need to see where I can cut a hole though...

Why not just add cutting brakes or a line lock Mick?:grin:cheers

I may end up doing a mechanical line lock...

I barely have room for one e-brake handle now, let alone 2 :)

I think I may have enough stuff with the 4Runner cables, and an Outback eBrake set-up to make it work yet...

I could always just bolt a chain to the fender with a wheel chock attached to it :) (I seriously saw a 1980 coupe a few months back, that had a chock hung around his drivers side mirror with a bunch of zip ties looped together to form a chain...)

and rebuilt the weber tonight, reinstalled, and put on hood pins. RF tire is at the shop trying to find out why it keep going flat.... hopefully just a leaky bead... I couldn't see anything obviously wrong...

tomorrow night: oil change and put my half door back on...

and rebuilt the weber tonight, reinstalled, and put on hood pins. RF tire is at the shop trying to find out why it keep going flat.... hopefully just a leaky bead... I couldn't see anything obviously wrong...

tomorrow night: oil change and put my half door back on...

yep. bead leak...

found my alt was bad, so another XT6 alt went on... drove it a bit and re-bled the brakes... I might have to do an EJ Master...

it seems like I can't keep an ALT in this thing.... over the weekend, it was pretty sporadic on whether or not it would keep charging at idle or not...

thumbs up to the FROR full float/rear disk set-up... but I definitley need to go to an EJ Brake Master... the 13/16 MC in the Brat just isn't quite where it needs to be.

The instructions for the kit, show the calipers mounted with the ebrake bracket on the top side, which puts the bleeders on the bottom. then you have to unbolt and slide the calipers to the front side of the disc so you can bleed them !!! and the ebrake bracket is unusable because of my coil springs...

just needed to flip calipers side to side, and bleeding is now normal, and the ebrake bracket is at the back side of the axle housing, and I should be abe to use my 4runner setup now....

the rebuild of the weber made the engine run a lot smoother, but I really need to get the SPFI set-up onto it...

• 2 weeks later...

because of how we did the frame rail for the steering box, it's too narrow now to fit an EJ in there unless I go full hydro which I'm not doing (no reason)

and really, with the SPFI and better tcase gearing, there's not really much need for more power for most of the stuff I do...

because of how we did the frame rail for the steering box, it's too narrow now to fit an EJ in there unless I go full hydro which I'm not doing (no reason)

and really, with the SPFI and better tcase gearing, there's not really much need for more power for most of the stuff I do...

roger that. i did just fine off road in my 87 (nothing compared to this) and it really struggled when id drive to go visit people (over I5 shelton to black diamond)

Is is bad though i was showin the guys at wtotech cause they said (after showin em my build) "what was that little truck subaru made way back when" i said "THE BRAT!" and they said "yea i wanna see one of those straight axled" they couldnt believe the size of tires you had on it:lol:

roger that. i did just fine off road in my 87 (nothing compared to this) and it really struggled when id drive to go visit people (over I5 shelton to black diamond)

Is is bad though i was showin the guys at wtotech cause they said (after showin em my build) "what was that little truck subaru made way back when" i said "THE BRAT!" and they said "yea i wanna see one of those straight axled" they couldnt believe the size of tires you had on it:lol:

it's nicer now with the 36" Swamper SX's on it. I need to do a little more trimming at the rear of the front wheel wells... there's already a custom bracket there to hold it from flapping :)

Brat-2011.jpg

Dont you get mud flung up at you with those wider tires and no window.

the place I was at that weekend was pretty dry, though I did have a chunk of mud fall in when we were night wheeling, and I thought it was a bat!

I've got the silver door back on now.... though I might actually break down and pain it :)

thats the "hell yea" factor

how much droop does it have?

never really measured anything...

this was when it got the exhaust done...

http://www.indysworld.com/vehicles/1982-brat-red/build-exhaust.jpg

which is just straight droop both sides, as far as the TJ springs and shocks would let it go....

http://www.indysworld.com/brat-flex.jpg

• 1 month later...
Do you have the other door on for Winter time yet. Are you making room for a new (project)

the full door went back on right after I got back from my last trip. no new projects for me, other than maybe some work/upgrades on the SS. I'm hoping to get the SPFI on the Brat this winter.

• 1 month later...

since my SS is down for some work, I've been carpooling with the mrs. until today... I drove my Brat... was a bit squirrelly at first because we had a heavy front last night that covered all the roads, so it was wandering a bit, but once I got onto a more heavily travelled road it was good. found a couple sections of the 35 mile route that were less than optimal surface for the SX's :)

I'm sure anyone who was used to a normal car would have been less than comfortable :)

• 8 months later...