Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 Brat: Solid Axle Build *** DONE! :) ***

mcbrat

• 3 weeks later...

Ummmm.....Something isn't quite right about that picture. The tube work is awesome, but the sun isn't supposed to shine down there :-p

I Agree, I was lookin at it thinkin-Nice Pics,Nice Work,Good lighting,And then it Hit me :huh::confused:  The Lighting-It"s Bright for being underneath and then I saw a tiny little patch of dirt at the back-UHOH Not Good!!

• 6 months later...

how did that soft top work out?

I've been lusting after your rig, and shaking my head in envious sadness...

it didn't.  The vinyl cargo cover was more pvc and less vinyl and didn't really look like it was gonna hold up without instantly ripping, so we abandoned that idea.  Plus, my hi-lift stiull sticks up past the top yet, and I need to change the mount location first...

after the beating it has taken this year, plus the rust continuing to eat away at it, I have to do some bodywork on it this winter.  tailgate is barely operational now, and  can see the tires through both footwells.  fenders could probably use a bit more trimming too  :)  starting to see some grooves cut into the lugs.  not deep, but it is happening.  This thing just loves the trail twisties that leaf sprung rigs lift tires on...

No more of any of these:

broken struts, broken torsion bars, broken oil pressure sender, bent mustache bar, broken half-shafts front or rear, burnt clutch, broken stub shift in rear diff.

I miss rolling in a stockish lifted soob sometimes, but the above list of stuff I don't have to deal with more than makes up for it.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I don't have a total.  too scary. I added lots of upgrades in along the way.

I think there was a conservative 140-160 hours in the design & fab for subframe, steering, suspension to make sure it all worked right.

the rest is all in what parts you want, and if you can do junkyard, or new, etc.... plus your own time putting the rest of it together.

I haven't broken anything yet, so for me, it was money well spent, because each time out prior, I was breaking something.

• 1 month later...

so....after a quick weekend visit to Colorado to help boost the parts supply at RetroRoo  :) I ended up coming home with a EA81T PS pump and bracket, which is the last Item I needed really for the SPFI swap.  now to find the time to do it.....

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

nope.  still haven't done the SPFI swap, and not even sure I ever will....

I've got a weird noise happening now.  bearings somewhere, but won't have time to track it down until June or later....

Roof leaks badly now too, so gotta find out what's missing there....

• 8 months later...

roof leak was a rust hole where the t-top "hinges".  it no longer leaks through there, but I dented the roof right at the edge of the windshield (right before shattering the t-top) so now it's leaking in a different spot  :)

it's put away for the winter now, but I have my little 31's on it now in case I want to drive it.  holes in floor are all "repaired" so it will not be freezing cold inside.

really needs a clutch now.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...