Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 Brat: Solid Axle Build *** DONE! :) ***

mcbrat

Both in my case!!:slobber: The idea of the tube embedded into the frame rails is really a good idea even on a stock suby. It would offer protection and help strengthen the chassis. And for those with rusty spots on their frame rails then it would work there as well!

It would add quite a bit of strength to a stock soob, but FYI it's a b*%#h to weld the sheetmetal to the .120 wall tubing. If it's rusty, it'll be that much more fun! There are several layers there toward the front body mounts. Mick's rails were actually separated from the floor pan at the back from previous 'wheeling incidents, so I beat them back down and drilled for new plug welds. It's not completely welded yet, and I plan on filling in the gaps and the burn holes when I switch back to the .023 wire in the welder (after the rest of the fab is done). One really nice thing about the subframe is that there are plenty of options as to where to put the jack now!!:grin:

damn good job mate,i am coming up with a crossmember idea myself right now as well.what size is the plate you used for the actual mounts?i am trying to figure out what i have downstairs to use.

and do you think mick will be going through engine mounts the way you have it setup?any added stresses,etc....cheers, brian

some nice work. looks like a one of a kind build, that looks to be coming along nicely so far. If you ever want to do more fabrication, I would love a roll bar for my BRAT, that still fits under my topper, and maybe a front custom bumper.

Great work for Mick.

This is goning to be pretty kick butt trail rig.

damn good job mate,i am coming up with a crossmember idea myself right now as well.what size is the plate you used for the actual mounts?i am trying to figure out what i have downstairs to use.

and do you think mick will be going through engine mounts the way you have it setup?any added stresses,etc....cheers, brian

I'm assuming we're talking about the engine crossmember. The mounts are 1/8" thick, bent up on the sides in a press-brake. The sides being bent up are what give it it's strength.

In theory, there should be less stress on the engine mounts. Since the transfer case is divorce-mounted and gives additional gear reduction, the majority of the stress should be concentrated there. With that said, Mick and I talked about potential weak links when this is done and the only things I could think of were the original engine and transmission mounts. Mick said these were modified stock ones, with urethane added to them through some highly-secret process of which I'm not familiar.:)

The motor mounts are exactly in the same configuration and location as they were stock, I supported the engine and transmission, then removed the original crossmember and built the new and the mounts in place. The only reason we went with this new crossmember is to give us more room to clear things up front. The original had to support the engine, the rack & pinion, and the lower control arms. This one only has to support the engine.

some nice work. looks like a one of a kind build, that looks to be coming along nicely so far. If you ever want to do more fabrication, I would love a roll bar for my BRAT, that still fits under my topper, and maybe a front custom bumper.

Great work for Mick.

This is goning to be pretty kick butt trail rig.

Sure. You can PM me or get my contact info from Mick, thanks.

Edited by BlueJeep

• 2 weeks later...

so I don't think I ever laid out what all this build has, so here it goes....

Started with:

82 Brat, ea81 with ea71 pistons, Delta Cam, recurved Disty, weber with 155 mains, MSD 6A Ignition, Accel SuperCoil.

D/R 5 Speed from '89 Wagon.

Adding:

Samurai divorced t-case with stock gears.

Custom t-case cradle and mounts

Custom built subframe.

4 link rear, 3 link front suspensions

lower links are all the same length

some form of Jeep coil springs.

'87 Toyota 4 runner rear axle, 58" WMS

'85 Toyota pickup front axle, 55" WMS + 2" wheel spacers to make it 59"

'87 Toyota IFS steering box

105" wheelbase

Cragar Soft 8 wheels. 17x9 with 4" backspacing.

315/70R17 BFG All-Terrains (for now)

Trail Tough Rear Driveline Disconnect for Sammy t-case with Toyota driveshaft flange

4.10 Axle gears

Powertrax Lockright in rear

RCI 17 Gallon fuel cell

Custom rollbar integrated with subframe

Custom engine and trans crossmembers

'85 Toyota front and rear driveshafts to custom length.

will have a 52:1 crawl ratio with all stock gearing.

For brakes, the fronts will have vented rotors, and the rears will be disk as well (config up in air yet) and will use a Outback e-brake handle for the rear ebrakes.