Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 Brat: Solid Axle Build *** DONE! :) ***

mcbrat

Mick now that you have had it both ways is there anything you miss about the old Brat before the axle swap? anything??

a few things that were better in the brat, but I can live with easily are:

turning radius

no manual lockouts

ride quality. (since the Brat is still lighter than a stock TJ, it rides rougher even with the coils)

I could fit better on the quad trails before.

Really, when I'm wheeling, it feels the same to me, other than the fact that I don't have to make runs at hills any more, and I haven't lifted a tire yet.... :banana: the built ea81 is plenty of engine for my configuration....

76 mph top speed!

• 11 months later...
a few things that were better in the brat, but I can live with easily are:

turning radius

no manual lockouts

ride quality. (since the Brat is still lighter than a stock TJ, it rides rougher even with the coils)

I could fit better on the quad trails before.

Really, when I'm wheeling, it feels the same to me, other than the fact that I don't have to make runs at hills any more, and I haven't lifted a tire yet.... :banana: the built ea81 is plenty of engine for my configuration....

76 mph top speed!

I suppose that isn't true anymore since I "slipped" over on it's side twice...

well... I got some new tires being delivered tomorow hopefully... got a smokin' deal on some Swamper SXs.... :headbang:

36" s on a Brat will be cool as common as a turbo SVX perhaps.

jk Mick you are going all balls out on this one i want pics when you get them mounted and i will race you pink slips my BRAT for your BRAT, just not in any mud bogs.

that is what you BRAT needed. i cannot wait to see it.

• 3 months later...
My gawd, sir... 'tis a beautiful thing!

(but let's be honest...a project wheeler is NEVER really done...)

oh, I know... I still have things to do on it :)

full float rear

SPFI

shift boots

maybe some more trimming...

jump seats

paint touch up

Lets be honest, that door is an eyesore. You need the old beatup red one back on.:banana:

yeah, been thinking about painting this one too... it doesn't look like it, but it is a little pushed in from laying it on it's side twice....

I do want to put the half door on, and I have some ideas on making it water "resistant" so I can leave it on all the time :)

• 2 weeks later...
36's! thats extreme are you runnin 4.10's?

i was lookin at 33's..

whats your ground clearance?

still running 4.10 thirds. I have a spare 3rd that's 4.30 so I could find another to lower it a bit, but no rush...

unfortunately, my money pit of a house needs attention worse than this does....

12-03-2008, that was the date of that post.and 2 builds ago......with no tools downstairs......

since then i have read, bought tools, and read , and talked to folks, and read, and talked to folks, and wheeled with folks.that do know what i want

to accomplish.

then i bought more tools, and read some more.and read some more.and wheeled with some folks.and read some more.

then started building ,and buying parts, and building , and buying parts.

i may still not know what i am doing, but at least I am doing it..........I would rather build my ************ and never wheel it than buy something or have something built and not know ************ about it, or how to fix it on the trail.

cheers, b

Edited by monstaru

• 3 weeks later...
12-03-2008, that was the date of that post.and 2 builds ago......with no tools downstairs......

since then i have read, bought tools, and read , and talked to folks, and read, and talked to folks, and wheeled with folks.that do know what i want

to accomplish.

then i bought more tools, and read some more.and read some more.and wheeled with some folks.and read some more.

then started building ,and buying parts, and building , and buying parts.

i may still not know what i am doing, but at least I am doing it..........I would rather build my ************ and never wheel it than buy something or have something built and not know ************ about it, or how to fix it on the trail.

cheers, b

wooo touched a nerve. just cause i can put ALOT MORE money (have someone build it for me) into my subaru doesnt mean i cant build it myself or know how to fix it.. its kinda hard to sit around and build a subaru when you have a family to support and your 7260 miles away doing just that.

I can tell you almost everything about the project like what metals were used how thick they are what grade nuts bolts and washer what thread type. what kinda filler was used for the welds.. theres alot i know and alot im gonna learn im no just gonna hop in it and go im gonna check it out and really see whats goin on.. say what you want its not like you have ANYTHING built this custom to this level of QUALITY

who am i tryin to prove myself to anyways? some dude on the internet.. who always TALKS..

I leave tomorrow for college to do high performance powertrains at wyotech im paying for it so i doubt ill learn anything or know how to fix ************ on the trail:rolleyes:

Im not tryin to become your enemy just defending myself.

still running 4.10 thirds. I have a spare 3rd that's 4.30 so I could find another to lower it a bit, but no rush...

unfortunately, my money pit of a house needs attention worse than this does....

how is you engine to tranny setup? tcase and whatnot

do you have pics? ill have mine up with in the week

• 3 weeks later...
some bumper and paint pics.... I'll be painting the axles too, but after it's running and I can clean 'em good....

rs_100_1547.JPG

rs_100_1551.JPG

hello

this is absolutly beautiful but I gotta ask about the panhard bar arraingement

as that panhard bar ( locater) moves in its travel, its going to move the whole axle towards the passenger side ( by quite a large distance) during its arc, that sideways movement in turn will turn the wheels to the drivers side because it shortens the distance from the steering gear to the passenger side steering knuckle

did you overcome that with a stiffer spring?

actually, it's almost as far towards the passenger side as it can get. there's very little upwards travel as you can see the bump stop inside the spring. no jumping this one... but as the suspension drops, it does move towards the drivers side a bit maybe a couple inches if that, but since the link is as long as it is, the pivot point is much further away, so the movement is minimized.

and since the draglink is parallel with the PH, it reduces bump steer...

axle-movement.jpg