Ultimate Subaru Message Board

15.30 @ 91 mph

Here's a little update on my brat project. I took it to spokane raceway park for a few time trials. It ran a best of 15.30 @ 91 mph (1/4 mile drag) with serious wheel spin thru first and second gear.I was hoping for faster times but am pleased with its performance even with traction problems.I am thinking of returning it to AWD so it will hook up of the line, as it is RWD right now.I recieved alot of attention at the races from fans of Brats.I also had bunch of people ask my what kind of a car it was as they had never seen anything like it before .Here's some pics of its new look, enjoy!

2468844200101713470S500x500Q85.jpg2203641340101713470S500x500Q85.jpg2889864700101713470S500x500Q85.jpg2981534600101713470S500x500Q85.jpg2617812080101713470S500x500Q85.jpg

AWD won't help. You have a higher top end speed due to the RWD, and the AWD launch won't help that much.

How do I know? Well your 2.2l Brat is only .2 seconds slower than my 2.5l AWD Impreza, which runs a 15.1 and thats including almost every bolt on mod (including a lightweight flywheel/sticky clutch)!

I say stick with RWD, get some REAL tires, and run lower tire pressure and you should be fine :headbang:

Very cool. I've been imagining something similar for my brat. How was installing the engine? Was any modification needed to clear the steering system?

Installing the engine wasn't to bad, had to widen the frame a bit. The motor mounts were slotted and the tits on motor mount removed.The rear cross member had the center between bolts removed and a dropped section welded back in. The steering works fine if you cut the corner off of the bellhousing enough to install the nut flush or slighlty countersunk.I think I used a shorter auto stud in place of the longer manual 5mt stud.ej rad fits with a little trim job and the Brat rear drive shaft was lengthened.The ej y-pipe fits if you trim the pass lower control arm.

AWD won't help. You have a higher top end speed due to the RWD, and the AWD launch won't help that much.

How do I know? Well your 2.2l Brat is only .2 seconds slower than my 2.5l AWD Impreza, which runs a 15.1 and thats including almost every bolt on mod (including a lightweight flywheel/sticky clutch)!

I say stick with RWD, get some REAL tires, and run lower tire pressure and you should be fine :headbang:

I agree, keep it RWD.

All you need is the right amount of weight in the rear to help it hook up.

And thats one sweet Gen 1 Brat (My fav color, of course) :headbang:

i totally disagree ! AWD!! and you will be in the 13-14s times i run my 83 STI brat and get high 12s times high 7s in the 1/8 mile with wheel spin all through 1st gear if it was just rwd i could spin in any gear at any speed ! your brat should be under 2000lb with a 150hp engine , a 2.5l AWD Impreza should be 2800 -3000lb with 170hp you have 1000lb on that car , you should be faster !! but RWD is so much funner in the corners :grin:

FYI I'm running a ej25 w/22 heads (11:1 compression) ported heads ,Delta 230 cams , custom headers w/ dual exhaust,light balancer (1lbs) and exedy clutch.The general guess on hp is 200 chp and car weighted in at 2040 lbs.

I decided to switch over to awd, It won't be as much fun but it will put the power to the ground!

FYI I'm running a ej25 w/22 heads (11:1 compression) ported heads ,Delta 230 cams , custom headers w/ dual exhaust,light balancer (1lbs) and exedy clutch.The general guess on hp is 200 chp and car weighted in at 2040 lbs.

I decided to switch over to awd, It won't be as much fun but it will put the power to the ground!

oh ya you should do a lot better with AWD , my brat is 2300lb and ruffly 320hp 2.0L wrx engine VF34 sti injectors STI TMIC and cobb AC computer tuner headder and 3in exhost . V8s dont see it coming :grin:

Which transmission are you using?

Really though, if you want traction, it would be easier/cheaper to get proper RWD "sticky" tires instead of doing the AWD swap.

I already run the ej 5mt awd trans. The stock rear end is not gonna hold up to drag tires and hp. I would need to tub the rear half and use a solid axle setup , like a narrowed toyota rear 8 in. I would rather run rwd but switching it to awd is easier and cheaper. I only need to change stub axle in trans and install matching rear diff along with the new front axle. I would like to think I could get into the 13's with awd ,more tuning and less weight.I still have a couple hundred pounds I could remove from brat like tailgate,bumper,dash,heater,back slider.I need just enough equipt to keep street legal .

I already run the ej 5mt awd trans. The stock rear end is not gonna hold up to drag tires and hp. I would need to tub the rear half and use a solid axle setup , like a narrowed toyota rear 8 in. I would rather run rwd but switching it to awd is easier and cheaper. I only need to change stub axle in trans and install matching rear diff along with the new front axle. I would like to think I could get into the 13's with awd ,more tuning and less weight.I still have a couple hundred pounds I could remove from brat like tailgate,bumper,dash,heater,back slider.I need just enough equipt to keep street legal .

I mean, which specific transmission? There are some with gearing that might be better suited to your purpose.

You don't need a "major" rear-end upgrade, just use a R180 (STI diff case) and some built axles. There are several folks using setups like that for non-STI Imprezas with 500hp+

Oh, and you won't get into 13's without forced induction :(

• 3 months later...

Enlighten us please. How does adding another drive axle reduce top speed? Top speed is usually determined by Hp, drag, and final drive ratio. Oh and generaly speaking a tire losing traction is not doing much to accelerate a vehicle. Good choice going with all wheel drive. More weight is NEVER the answer for better traction on a drag car.

Enlighten us please. How does adding another drive axle reduce top speed? Top speed is usually determined by Hp, drag, and final drive ratio. Oh and generaly speaking a tire losing traction is not doing much to accelerate a vehicle. Good choice going with all wheel drive. More weight is NEVER the answer for better traction on a drag car.

Power loss to the drivetrain reduces wheel HP which will effect top speed, but I didn't mean Top Speed as much as high-speed. All things equal, a RWD car will accelerate faster at higher speeds while an AWD car will accelerate faster from a start.

Since this car doesn't have that much power, it won't take much to keep the traction from a launch, so RWD will just make it faster all around.