Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More Questions on EA71 heads

First off let me say that everyone who said to pull the engine out was absolutely correct. There was no way those heads were going to come off any other way. They were completley held up on a couple of studs, that were loaded up with gunk. Let me tell you, that was a serious PITA, even with the engine out of the car. Thanks to S'KO BTW, for bringing over his bag of tricks.

Anyway, I've got another set of heads, back from the machine shop, I'm reading through the book and I got a couple of questions.

1. The book says since my head gaskets aren't sticky, I'm supposed to use "head gasket sealer". Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Do you just torque up all the heads bolts first, then put the rocker arms on and torque those nuts? The book says something about a special 17mm subaru socket, but its not clear to me if I really need that or not.

Thanks much in advance everyone.

Cheers, Crabman.

First off let me say that everyone who said to pull the engine out was absolutely correct. There was no way those heads were going to come off any other way. They were completley held up on a couple of studs, that were loaded up with gunk. Let me tell you, that was a serious PITA, even with the engine out of the car. Thanks to S'KO BTW, for bringing over his bag of tricks.

Anyway, I've got another set of heads, back from the machine shop, I'm reading through the book and I got a couple of questions.

1. The book says since my head gaskets aren't sticky, I'm supposed to use "head gasket sealer". Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Do you just torque up all the heads bolts first, then put the rocker arms on and torque those nuts? The book says something about a special 17mm subaru socket, but its not clear to me if I really need that or not.

Thanks much in advance everyone.

Cheers, Crabman.

The head studs on the old school EA motors are just normal bolt sizes, so no special tool is needed.

I HIGHLY recommend using Subaru Three-Bond sealant. Its whats used at the factory on all the modern motors, and works just as great on the old Subaru motors.

I tried using some generic sealant on my wagon and it just ended up leaking from wherever I used it :( I'm going to be using Three-Bond on several things for my FF-1.

I always use PENTEX 1B gasket sealer for sealing head gaskets.I seal all the stud bases and the center water jacket(dead-end at the head),place the gasket,then level the stud bases to the gasket(fill the gap in the gasket to stud holes),add head, square the head, then center the gasket.In stead of the "special tool"I use spare unassembled rocker rail posts.torque in 3 steps,then let the sealer dry for 24hrs.then re-assemble the rockers.I hope this helps you out.

In stead of the "special tool"I use spare unassembled rocker rail posts.torque in 3 steps,then let the sealer dry for 24hrs.then re-assemble the rockers.I hope this helps you out.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look for some of that pentex 1B. I think I totally get what you are saying about the rocker rail posts, and I have some spares sitting around. That's a great idea. I never would have thought of that.

THANKS EVERYONE!! I let you know how it goes!

Special socket (part no. 499987006) is required to assemble the cylinder heads on the Subaru EA-81/71 engine. Unfortunately, this socket is no longer available from Subaru. So one can be made by using an articulated 17mm socket and an extension. The articulated socket is useful since the socket is already very short.

http://mthobby.pcperfect.com/ch601/images/DCP01893.JPG