Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat stiffening

cobcob

I took my '82 Brat in to get new tires on it the other day and it turns out that the front frame rails are in pretty bad shape... Needing suggestions for what my options are for reinforcing them. I'm thinking of removing as much rust as I can and welding some angle steel in there along each side of the existing rail.

I'll probably have to cut some angles into it to get it to wrap around the fire wall etc. but I think this is my best option.

Anyone have any other suggestions for fixing this?

I took my '82 Brat in to get new tires on it the other day and it turns out that the front frame rails are in pretty bad shape... Needing suggestions for what my options are for reinforcing them. I'm thinking of removing as much rust as I can and welding some angle steel in there along each side of the existing rail.

I'll probably have to cut some angles into it to get it to wrap around the fire wall etc. but I think this is my best option.

Anyone have any other suggestions for fixing this?

my front frame rails are in good shape but when i did my front bumper i used angle to stiffen the frame rails and give added strength so i say do what you said! It should work well:)

definatly get rid of as much rust as you can. and remember to cut past the rust to be sure you got it all.

if you can, i would reccomend using heavy gauge steel to patch what you cut out and use the angle steel to reinforce the areas. make sure that you take steps to prevent rust as well. get weld trough primer on the back sides of the steel to help prevent exposure. the weld through primer should be high in zink, and if i remember correctly, zinc draws corrsion away from the steel, which if anything, will slow down the rate that any new rust will form from the inside. if you can get the back sides of the fresh metal after welding, try to get some sealer or a high quality paint on the metal as well.

currently, my brat has still got rust in those areas, but i dont have a welder capable of penetration on thick steel. then again, my welder doesnt even work now that i think of it, lol.