Ultimate Subaru Message Board

50,000 mile Loyale

I sold some wheels on Craigslists the other day and the kid who bought them had a Loyale with something like 54,000 original miles on it. I could not beleive it. The interior looked brand new like it had just rolled off the showroom floor. He said he paid $3700 for it this past summer. Mine has 173,000 miles on it and I think I would pay that much to get one in that type of condition. What do you all think? Could you find a Legacy wagon for that price with that low miles?

I wouldn't pay that much because I know the failings of the EA82's and I know that given similar maintenance history the EJ22 with 150k on it is likely to last longer than an EA82 with 50k on it. Plus I don't care so much about mileage as I do about where the mileage took place (city or freeway), the maintenance history, and the condition. A 100k mile Legacy will be nicer, drive better, and just generally out perform a 0 mile Loyale any day of the week. The differences are largely in the design not in the mileage or age. Legacy's age better and you could get a supreme example with low mileage for $3700.

Unfortunately the EA82's are, in my opinion, the low point of Subaru's offerings from 1970 to 2000. They are supremely ugly, heavy, under powered, and other than the 5 speed D/R and the SPFI, the drive trains are nothing to write home about. The Loyale's, not being offered with the D/R, and coming with generally fewer features than the older GL's are the low point of the EA82 line.

The EA82's aren't all bad, and I would take one over most other brands and models in a pinch, but when you have owned many examples of everything Subaru has made before and since.... the EA82 is put into a different perspective. It's the reason there are many seasoned members here that own Gen 1's. Gen 2's, and EJ's but don't have a single EA82 save for hulks they have ripped the tranny's and SPFI out of.

GD

that's cool it's running and looks nice, glad he likes it, that's all that matters.

financially it's a terrible deal. yes you can easily get an EJ vehicle for that price range. 3 or 4 years ago i got my wifes 1997 Impreza OBS with 60,000 miles for less.

antiquated in many ways - ugly, no safety features, no air bags, weak brakes, horrible wheel upgrade options, underpowered.

age affects things as bad as mileage anyway...seals, gaskets, rubber, hoses, etc.

hopefully it's not an automatic, then he got completely ripped off.

if it's a manual AWD that's cool.

I'd guarantee you that for that price, he got it from a dealership.

I like the EA82 wagon body style immensely. I share GD's sentiments about their engine to the degree that a connoisseur would be that particular... to the everyday commuter, though, it's not an important point.

I'd say that $2k for a MINT MINT MINTY FRESH body/everything would be reasonable, keeping in mind that I like EA82 wagons a lot. $3700 is pushing it hard, though :-\

I'd guarantee you that for that price, he got it from a dealership.

I like the EA82 wagon body style immensely. I share GD's sentiments about their engine to the degree that a connoisseur would be that particular... to the everyday commuter, though, it's not an important point.

I'd say that $2k for a MINT MINT MINTY FRESH body/everything would be reasonable, keeping in mind that I like EA82 wagons a lot. $3700 is pushing it hard, though :-\

I agree^^ I adore the EA82 wagon body style terribly...And I am on the look out for one myself ..but its true about the motor...I am very comfortable working on them..more so then any other Subaru motor...but that still doesnt say its a great motor ( even though mine was the most dependable car I ever owned)

But I have been watching the price of these going up lately..I mean way up...( I blame it on the fact I am looking for one) But that price is ridiculous..no matter how good on the outside it is..and the interiors hold up extremely well ..so I never even conssider that a factor.

But for $3700 you can get a mid 90s loaded Lego.

E82 bashing must come to a halt! This means YOU GD!

Hhhmmm - not likely.

Paid $1500, just rolled over 244K. Crappy underpowered ugly Loyales Rule!

$1500 for an *excelent* example isn't too bad. Although I would rather it be $1500 for an excelent GL. Loyale's just feel like an after-thought being made from leftover parts to eliminate stockpiles from the late 80's and clear out warehouses for the EJ's. I paid less than that ($1000) for my last 94 Legacy and it only had 133k on it.

I'm sure you just haven't experienced the EJ's yet to understand what we are talking about. The EA82 is a half-baked first try at the Legacy, and doesn't really stand up next to the shining example of spartan, utilitarian reliability that the EA81 embodies either. Everything I could want can be found for basically the same amount of money in either an EJ or an EA81 so that relegates the EA82's to being parts.

I drive a first-gen EJ daily because it's super reliable, refined, sporty ('91 SS), and fits a DIN sized stereo without modification.

I drive a lifted EA81 as my toy because it's basic, simple (no t-belts), and light. Plus the hatch body is the ultimate in Subaru wheelbase for the off-road.

I have a Brat for restoration because it's rare and my sweat equity will actually be worth something someday. Plus I can haul a bit in it, and it gets amazing mileage with the SPFI.

Tell me where an EA82 fits in my world?

I understand the tendancy to defend your personal choices, but I assure you that as your Subaru experiences grow you will end up at the same place as the rest of the pack. Unless, like Andy, you really like the ugly duckling. Which is fine too - just add an EJ22 to it like he and others that suffer from his affliction have done to keep their sanity and hair.

GD

Hhhmmm - not likely.

Tell me where an EA82 fits in my world?

GD

Hi GD,

It doesn't. Any Corvette, other than a modern C 5, I wouldn't give you much for it, if I had to drive it.

To each their own. I don't bash a lifted Subaru, tho I will "never" build one. I'd buy a Jeep. I could go on and on.

Bashing the old 82 doesn't deter me from enjoying them one bit.

One of your fans,

Sincerely,

Doug

Edited by Quidam

It doesn't. Any Corvette, other than a modern C 5, I wouldn't give you much for it, if I had to drive it.

To each their own. I don't bash a lifted Subaru, tho I will "never" build one. I'd buy a Jeep. I could go on and on.

As could I, but this conversation involves Subaru's. Not Corvettes, not Jeep's, and not anything else.

I've owned many things besides Subaru's and will again. I've wheeled everything I could get my hands on in the military arsenal as well as a fair share of the civilian machines out there. I don't bring that here - it's not what this forum is about.

For the record though - I wouldn't own a Vette because I'm not over 50. And I wouldn't own a Jeep precisely because it's no fun for me - I take no joy in buying. I enjoy the building and the engineering. I care not for things that can be bought and bolted-on because they have no value to me. There is no art in it. There is no skill there. No challenge at all. Flinging mud is no challenge for the smallest mind if he has a large enough wallet - lay down the cash and mash on the skinny pedal.... "big deal" I say. I will take the lifted Subaru even if it's inferior - if it fails I have no one to blame but myself and I simply redesign it for the next time around.

Think of it as the difference between buying new kitchen cabinets and making them in your own garage. Etc. It's a fundamental way of living that we differ on. That's ok though - it takes all kinds.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

They may not be pretty, but without the lessons learned from the flaws of the EA82 there would be no legacy in the form they came. It was just a step of evolution. I kinda like the EA82 style, I dont care much for the looks of anything newer, save for the Baja and the Outback sedans. That being said, I would never pay more than 500 bucks for any EA82 wagon, and I wouldnt pay over 1000 for any EA82 model. I work on them, I know what a pain in the a$$ they can be, but they will get you around just fine. And if your wheelin it, throw a EA81 or a EJ in there and you have a disposable body. Id rather bash up an EA82 body than an EA81 or older. They are definitely plentiful enough. I like the interiors myself, Im not too into the modern curvey stuff. If nothing else, they would make a great starting point for a project wheeler or sleeper speed racer :burnout:

They may not be pretty, but without the lessons learned from the flaws of the EA82 there would be no legacy in the form they came.

Sorry but no. The EJ engine was developed independently beginning in 1985. The EA82 was an evolution of the EA81 with overhead cams and carrier's added on top of slightly modified EA81 head designs. The block and heads are near identical to the EA81 dual-carb engines, and the EA82 turbo is the logical evolution of the EA81 turbo using the EA82 overhead cam designs and dual-port heads.

It is my opinion the EA82's OHC design did not improve upon the EA series. Not for the consumer anyway.

The EJ was developed by a seperate research group from 1985 to 1989 - it is a completely new design using none of the EA82 style OHC components. It was designed from the outset for turbo-charged applications. It was also the first Subaru engine designed entirely with CAD.

GD

I understand the tendancy to defend your personal choices, but I assure you that as your Subaru experiences grow you will end up at the same place as the rest of the pack. Unless, like Andy, you really like the ugly duckling. Which is fine too - just add an EJ22 to it like he and others that suffer from his affliction have done to keep their sanity and hair.GD

GD-

I been on this board for awhile too. We have two Subies in the family. The wife's EJ22 (95 legacy) and my Loyale. I maintain 'em both. The EJ 22 is "superior" in all respects. I also paid 4 times less for the Loyale. The E82 is a simple workhorse and a loyal dog who will be happy to see you and never ****s on the carpet unless he's really really sick. I am over 50. Quit bashing E82's.

Your fan,

Bill

Edited by Bill90Loyale