Ultimate Subaru Message Board

custom gauges

sub_speed_559

i was thinking of making some custom guages for my 88 turbo wagon, not the gl-10 or the digi dash....i am kinda sick of looking at the same tired gauges and am thinking of doing a black out gauge......it would basically be black when the car is off and then it would have the lights come on when the car is turned on....but i would probibly have it backlit with blue or amber led's.....either that or maybe making a carbon fiber face gauge with like amber color numbers that would show amber when backlit but don't know how this would look....if anyone has any ideas or input or perhaps would like to have one made once i have made a prototype just let me know .....

been done on many cars (I've never seen it for an old subaru....but the idea remains the same). cut a piece of plastic/carbon/wood/whatever the shape of the stock cluster, then use a hole saw to cut holes for aftermarket gauges. a few lights for indicators, and some paint and you're set.

it's something I'm looking at doing in my next round of mods :)

EDIT: a quick google image search for "custom gauge cluster" brought up these.....

Jimdash.jpg

10292005004.jpg

640x480_p1000608.jpg

the hard thing, of course, will be the speedometer.....especially if you have a swapped car that needs the VSS signal

Edited by Numbchux

well im not trying to do different gauges im using the stock gauges and just giving them a face lift.......i don't really like the look to much of all the autometer gauges all crammed together like that, plus i was thinking of having it done for around 30 bux at most....\

I like the full custom gauges idea. but i like this setup with carbon fiber gauges too. 640x480_p1000608.jpg

I understand the budget dilema, im a paycheck to paycheck kinda guy. So are you going to dress up the digi dash or analog?

if budget wasnt a problem id like to use one of these:viewimageresize.asp?w=252&p=AIMSport&f=Data_Loggers

Edited by my69opelgt
add photo