Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possible build. EA71/81 hybrid. Suggestions?

JonOfScio

Here's what we've got going on right now. If I can find an EA81 block in good shape, and get a good deal on gaskets/rings and clutch kit, then I'll have this in the works:

'87 EA71 Heads and Pistons

valve job

EA81 block/crank

EA81 intake manifold with polished water and air tracts

Weber 38 DGAS

*Special hitachi to weber spacer

New exhaust

I figure with things flowing better, the operating system being simpler, the polishing and whatnot taking care of detonation issues, and increased compression it will work fine on pump gas. I'm not going to deck the heads if I don't need to. I'm pretty sure the car would not exceed 10:1, I need to get CC dish size for the '83-'87 late model 1600 heads/pistons and find which head gasket to use, and which rods would work best before I can figure out it's more true compression ratio. Worse comes to worse, use EA81 heads instead of the EA71 heads.

The weber 38 DGAS (38/38 DGxx) jetted properly would not necessarily get worse mileage than the 32/36, but have the advantage of more torque and higher hp capability. I'm not going with an EA82 intake because I do in fact want the EA81 intake for multiple reasons.

What's nice is that I have all the tools to do the work. I have the '87 EA71 motor in whole running right now and would have to source out an EA81 short block (in good condition!) and a new clutch kit. I'm in the process of getting the carb and jet kit. It doesn't matter if it takes time to source the necessary parts out, but I wouldn't mind if I got them soon. :) Having the car down for a weekend and making a BBQ out of it would be ideal. I've gotten terribly efficient at working on cars over the years and wouldn't need any help, but the sound of a newly rebuilt custom subie at WOT sounds purdy and everyone can appreciate.

*I have developed a carb adapter that is reminiscent of a velocity stack and reacts like a "torque spacer" with really awesome heat dissipation. :banana:

I could go into much greater detail, but I guess I'll save that for later. I've posted the gist of it. It's design concept is such of a really really well tuned non-ecu, carbureted, with alot more power and, if not better economy, similar to stock.

How's this sound? What I need to know just for my ease right now is which headgaskets to use. If I get enough positive response I'll deluge you guys with info on my planned intake setup, exhaust setup, and electrical improvements.

Total cost (highball): $100 for motor, $200 for gaskets OEM or aftermarket (depending on quality of course!) Other plans for the car as finances permit. I forgot to mention, but I already sourced out the 38 DGAS for free.

When I bought it I was thinking it was an '87, it had to be an EA81. I inspected the exhaust first because I knew it very well. identical parts and placement. Looked at the top end and saw the feedback system, and counted the solenoids. Yep, at least I knew what I was in for. All appeared the same until WHAM, I saw EA71 on the block.

I searched and found articles I have missed in the past few years detailing the not commonly known '83-'87 EA71 that came in hatches and brats. It's heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, starter, water pump, clutch kit, thermostat location, and distributor type are all swappable to EA81 motors apparently. Which would basically mean it's a 1.6L EA81. I would like to know if the rods are longer or different than normal EA71 and EA81 rods. I need to get to bed... yawn.