Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5SPD D/R transmission into '92 Loyale project

cmiller

Well this afternoon I start the swap process. :headbang: I'm disconnecting and hopefully pulling the 5SPD S/R out of the Loyale by tonight. Then tomorrow put in the 5SPD D/R into it and road test. I will post pics as things roll along.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=257

here's the new transmission waiting to go in the Loyale. I put in new seals, new shift bushings, clutch bearing, dust boot, and tranny mounts. Can't wait to have it in!!

AND IT BEGINS!:clap:

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=259

up on stands and front tires off.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=258

pulled the shifter and console out and moved the carpet out of the way. Next I'm disconnecting as much as I can on top of the tranny from under the hood. Then move the exhaust and drive line out of the way. More pics on the way!:popcorn:

Edited by cmiller

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=265

Pile of parts, drive shaft, skid plate, exhaust, etc...

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=266

Everything disconnected from the transmission, driveline, front axels, etc... Now ready to drop the transmission, but I think its time to call it a night. :drunk:

Quick question, what are people doing with the two extra vacuum lines from the push button 4WD after they are disconnected? Don't really need them with the new transmission.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=267

Old transmission out...

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=269

ready for the dual range

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=268

putting in the dual range

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=270

shift linkage and interior all buttoned up. Everything went in easy and without a hitch. :clap:

I just plugged up the vacuum lines from the old tranny, also I kept the Loyale shifter with the button. I dunno what to hook up to the switch. Any ideas? passenger ejector seat? air horn?...:brow:

Did the road test and man what a difference in 4 low!:headbang: Can't wait for some snow!

nice work:drunk:

Hows this Sunday for wheelin ... Team CF and I are always out and about...let's go wheelin' !

Don't forget the HP X-mas tree run..!

I need to do the swap myself as my 4spd has a bad 3rd gear syncro and no hi range..

For the switch I would make it the turbo boost(Blower) switch ya know like the madmax intercepter...lol

Edited by scoobyclimbs

nice work:drunk:

Hows this Sunday for wheelin ... Team CF and I are always out and about...let's go wheelin' !

Don't forget the HP X-mas tree run..!

I need to do the swap myself as my 4spd has a bad 3rd gear syncro and no hi range..

For the switch I would make it the turbo boost(Blower) switch ya know like the madmax intercepter...lol

Nice!

I have to work this weekend. But I really want to see your new hatch. The tranny swap was much needed. Next I have to figure out a front bumper.

So I have an '85 with the POS 3 speed auto so I need a swap of this kind. I am curious if anyone knows about the peddle assembly and if any cutting of the firewall would be needed to fit a clutch peddle?

Thanks for any input available and congrats on the upgrade..

So I have an '85 with the POS 3 speed auto so I need a swap of this kind. I am curious if anyone knows about the peddle assembly and if any cutting of the firewall would be needed to fit a clutch peddle?

Thanks for any input available and congrats on the upgrade..

No cutting necessary.

Just make sure you get all the parts needed for the swap.

Peddle assembly, clutch cable.

Complete running gear.

Make sure the rear diff ratio you get matches the tranny (3.9 for a 5spd D/R non turbo)

No cutting necessary.

Just make sure you get all the parts needed for the swap.

Peddle assembly, clutch cable.

Complete running gear.

Make sure the rear diff ratio you get matches the tranny (3.9 for a 5spd D/R non turbo)

I did this swap as well and changed the whole dash board and harness as well and I also stole the manual seat belts out of the donor car as well!

• 3 months later...
It would with some mod, but are you talking about the 4 spd d/r? If so it's not worth it, the 5 spd is much stronger

yes the 4 spd d/r, 83 - 87, i was just looking for the low range, off road. how different are they? the gear ratios appear to be close. is the loyale too heavy?

mostly i was wondering about the bell housing bolts. what kind of mods besides the hi low lever, trans mount, shifter?

is it possible/ practical to swap the 'dual range' section on to the loyale 5 speed??

Edited by johnceggleston