Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm back in the subie game!

I thought I'd post up here about my new subie.

I had it in the Playground but I'll start it again.

It's a 83 Leone Sedan. I bought it at the wreckers. With all sedans it was only FWD, so I've already got the 4WD torsion bar and tank and put those in. It didn't come with an engine and I had to pull the gearbox out and take that back to the wrecker.

I've spent the last couple of weeks slowly pulling down a 5sp D/R 3.7 ratio box and a 5sp S/R 3.9. The single range box was an import from Japan, it came from a crash test car so it has practically no miles on it. The other day I put the snychros, pinionshaft and diff from the S/R into the D/R so now I have a 5sp D/R 3.9 with brand new synchros. Hoping to get onto making the custom crossmember for it today and find out what I need to bash to fit it in.

Also I will be putting in my dual carb EA81.

I'll be running a welded rear diff with my 27" Kumho M/T's.

I'll keen this updated hopefully...

83sedan_wreckers.jpg

83sedan_4wdconversion.jpg

83sedan_4wdconversion2.jpg

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=436.0;attach=462;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=436.0;attach=511;image

Thing is, I want it drivable by the 22nd. I've organised a Subaru meet and would like to come along in a Subie not like the last ones I've organised.. So that gives me a week to do the gearbox, engine, prop, radius rods, fenders, diff, etc..... Oh and I need to get it registered and get a key for it. Fun fun

This kit... What is it? I assume a trans crossmember and a rear shifter plate mount plus flywheel jibbo..

Bashing wasn't going to make enough room. I want it to sit as high as the hold trans did. This means without a lift kit it rubs 50mm below where it should sit. Was your coupe an auto or manual to start with? I've heard the auto's have a lot more room.

Ran into more problems. Looks like I'll need to get a exhaust stud welded up on my EA81dc again... The insert ripped its way out while we were racing the wagon.

Yeah, its taken a back step on priority right now because I can't get it ready for next weekend.

An insert I put in the exhaust stud hole ages ago ripped out and now it needs welding.

I will be sure to get a few more photos and upload them properly so you can all see. today. The back seat is still full of body panels and stuff that needs to go on the car. Only 191K km on the ticker... And bearly any rust under the body... I'm sure that will all change soon enough. I dont take good care of my cars.

dude, just push the bloody thing over onto its side on a couple stacks of tires and pressure wash, then paint the underside of the thing with some high gloss black. Maybe even get a spray gun and some rustoleum and lay a few coats on until its nice and thick.. That frame looks to be in really good shape, no reason not to try and keep it that way.

Yeah, might do that when I get some money. As it is spending $60 getting the exhaust stud fixed is a bit much and I just found out that both the exhaust valve springs on the 1-3 cylinder head were snapped so I need to replace those.

Sorry I didn't get any pics today.. Tomorrow maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

Motors almost ready to run, just need a couple more pipes and an exhaust. Rear diff is in and I'm mounting a 2 piece EA82 shaft I happen to have (don't know where that came from!?).

gearbox is mounted and working, but needs the axles put on it, another 15 min job.

Then I need to extend the radius rods so I can fit my 27" M/T's without doing too much damage, also to fix that stupid caster they put on the EA81's.

It is pretty close to drivable. Going to town next Monday to register and insure it. Can't wait...