Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Murphys Law Strikes Again!!!! Motor Blown

OH My..I dont know how many times I have to say it...sigh... motor was completely resealed..entire cooling system has been replaced..water pump.radiator hoses and OEM T stat..I know about burping the system and had done that also....if anyone actually reads what I type..car was being run every day for at least 20minutes for the past few weeks..there has to be 5+ hours run time on the motor ( probably more)...and not just at idle...I would check the coolant and oil before EVERY start and I would also periodically watch the coolant upon warm up ( with cap off) to check for flow and bubbles. This isnt my first time dealing with Subaru cooling issues ( dont forget I had an XT6 that drove me nuts)

This whole project has been a waste...I did the math and I have over $2300 into this car total..and dont forget..I am NOT modding it..this has been just stock repairs..It will most likely be getting parted out after the beginning of the year so I can pay back those people who donated parts to the cause.

I am through with all this too...no more cars ...no more projects...I will leave it to you people that know what your doing cause I seem to FAIL at everything I touch. After which I will be leaving the board ( that should make some happy) like I have from 5 other Subaru boards

Edited by Bucky92

Sweety,good talking to you the other night. Sorry the battery ran out and charger in the car.

Seeing some of those things you've typed I completely understand your frustrations with folks not reading,etc. and your being upset over the money and time into the car and still its not something to take to shows and feel truely proud about..... but !!!! .....

A) look at the prices of anything else that rolls and your $2300 really isn't all that much to worry about since ....

B) you're hardly needing to go spending much more at all to at least make it a FINE daily or occasional user. And again,check the prices of these used cars here in CT and elsewhere in the northeast. You should come out with a car that's reliable and lovable for less than having to go buy a good 2.2 these days. (a good one - don't compare just any 2.2 , compare the condition Coupe vs. Local 2.2's

I'm wayyyyyy overtired,must catch a nap before Igorland calls. Call tonight if you want.

Mostly I just want to see you TRY to consider keeping it and maybe at least get some fun and miles out of it before turning it over.

Good luck and call if you want to. I neglected to add your number and now its already off the menu so when you get a chance give me a ring.

Wanna 70's headache instead?? :lol::lol: .... just thought about that. :o

I for one do not want to see you leave this board. I also dont want you to give up on that coupe. I learned to ignore the money I "waste" on my Subes because its just how it goes. Bad things happen, but I dont believe you destroy everything you touch. You fixed a lot of Bucky's problems, and you did all you could to save Rocky until the rust got him. Old subarus have personalities, and some just dont like to cooperate. I went through about 5 alternators and 3 or 4 distys and and a lot of tuning and time trying to get one of the engines to run right in the Beast, only to have my radiator fans die on a 105 degree day on my way back from WCSS10. It still ran, but the HG's are toast. Interstingly enough, the motor in my car at that time was from an '82... All Im saying is you really shouldnt throw in the towel like this. I know Ive spent well over 5 grand on the Beast, and I know I will spend thousands more in the future, and it will give me problems forever, but it comes with the territory. Things like this are very frustrating and demoralizing, but you can pull through. YOU HAVE NOT FAILED at anything! You successfully resealed and did the headgaskets all by yourself, that is a great achievement. I am convinced that whatever hapened to the coupe was not because of something you did. the car is 26 or so years old. Its going to have issues. Please dont give up, we dont want you to. And dont let anyone who thinks to the contrary get to you.

-Bill

dont go connie. you just need to take a short break from the car. dont give up on it. i know if you give up, you will regret it, maybe not right away, but before too long, it will catch up with you.

if you were closer, i would be happy to help you out.

if it comes down to it, i might end up with a spare ea81 when i swap my brat. i am pretty sure the engine itself is in good shape, but the carb needs attention. but yeah, once i get the brat swapped to the ea82t, ill be happy to bring you the ea81 i have from it.

and you know that you have more friends here that would hate to see you go. i for one feel that the community would be much less fun without you.

if there is anything that i can do, let me know.

just dont give up

New Parts Fail!!!! A suggestion that the thermostat stuck closed is NOT an indicator that someone wasn't paying attention to what you said.

If its any consolation, my second gear clutch bands burnt out in my 3AT, so my GL-10 is now just over a ton of scrap. Speaking of which, I should throw an ad up asking for $250 for the car before I need to have it hauled off for the cash. such a shame...

But regarding your car, quit feeding the bloody demons already!! Stop being upset about an incident, step forward, diagnose, and if you quit after that, quit.. but you have NO IDEA what happened yet. If you know what is wrong with the car you can probably sell it for double what you could otherwise. The motor cannot be TOO bad, and even if it is I am sure you could get good coin for your west coast vehicle even without an engine. Are you in a rush to get rid of it or something??

Seriously, relax. You KNOW this kind of feeling just feeds upon itself, and you know that your brain is the only thing that can change it. It could be worse; MY headgasket job (as well as $80 worth of two week old brakes up front) is now wasted time, effort, and money because of a transmission failure that Nothiing could prevent, and I am now scrambling to get an automatic trans 240Z parts car that is EVEN RUSTIER THAN MY SUBARU running well enough to deliver some pizzas in so I can scrap together $500 for a ride....

E'rybody gottta deal with BS; misery loves company (usually.) Hope you pick your chin up over this one soon!!!

Edited by daeron
datsun commentary

Connie, you sent me a christmas card last year and i thought it was awsome. I know youve had some hard luck with subys but dont give up. I know for a fact that there are more people on this board that want you to stay then go. When it comes down to it, lets say you were restoring a car. Youve got a great platform. A good interior and body to start. Most people dont even start out with that. Now youve got engine trouble, ok so lets figure out the problem. I know what you were doing, psyching yourself up for the big moment, just waiting for the time to drive your car. Well it broke and now your heartbroken. But unlike a broken heart you have control of what happens next. You can choose to part off a beautiful car or you can keep it and move on. I have seen only encouragemtnt and praise when people try to help you. I hear you offer whatever assistance you can to others and cook food on top of that. Youve come this far connie dont give up. I think if you put the coupe away for a while and try to get your mind clear you will not want to get rid of it. There are tens of thousands of those engines running around. It will run again theres no mistake about that. The question is do you want to be the one driveing it. People will help you just let them and dont give up.

Ben

Yeah man don't give up!!! Excellent point is the fact that you have a rust free body to start with!!! I can only dream of that! And just because you are not a expert mechanic shouldn't stop you! It was just a fluke, it probably is just a little bad luck, and believe me I bet everyone on this board has had some of this! Just take a breather and tackle it again later! And I know that there are people that would be willing to give you a hand, because they have said so! I would if I was closer! But don't give up...Please! We all get frustrated with our cars but don't let it end your obsession with subys! :)

take a break from car stuff for awhile? none of us have 100% success rates on projects. i don't want to fill space recalling all the jobs i've botched.

if time and frustration are getting to you, you now know your limits. i (and i think everyone) have to learn that too and avoid certain things and jobs where the time just drives me nuts when i can pay someone else to do it. avoid those limits from here on out (whether you keep this car or not). you can increase your toleration and enjoyment next time by staying within a more conservative threshold...like going with a CCR engine, or making the decision based on different plans (though they may cost more). that's just an example, not a suggestion or indication that i have any clue what's wrong...just an example.

doing everything yourself or the cheapest possible way is not the most enjoyable or tolerable way....it's the cheapest. paying for things that cost you time, frustration and offer higher chances of success is money well spent.

don't let circumstances determine your emotions. this isn't the first time you've claimed people want you to leave, but it's not true. it hasn't worked out so far and that sucks as you were totally stoked in the beginning. just make a good, informed decision on where to go from here given your time, financial, and frustration limits.

...no more cars ...no more projects...I will leave it to you people that know what your doing cause I seem to FAIL at everything I touch. After which I will be leaving the board...

Oh my God! ... Don`t Give Up!

Since 1985, My EA82 Wagon Have given Not Only Lots of Troubles, Also Great Moments and Wonderful Travels... Many Times it was So Screwed Up... First my Dad Started Repairing it (I was too Child, but I Learned from Him) then I, and Now I Wonder, remembering the Hard Times we Passed Together, and How great is That Subie Running Now.

That Wagon is my Everyday Warrior, (The Other one is my Dad`s) I Know that Maybe soon, something can fail and the Wagon can Leave me alone in the Middle of Nowhere, at Midnight, in a Road, etc... but I am Sure That I can Fix it Up Again and Again; with the Help of God, Working on it and with the Kind Words and Advices that All Our Friends here at the USMB Posts, giving Ideas, Sharing Experiences, Pictures, etc... and That Situations Just Makes the "Subaru - Owner" Relationship goes Stronger, like a Friendship, Because everytime I Start my Wagon and it Takes me to the Everyday`s Roads and more, I am Glad to Know that the Car Runs Because I`ve Worked in it, sometimes very Hard, fixing it Up and Maintaining it Good!

It is a Sensation of Satisfaction that can be Felt only Facing that kind of Troubles and Fixing them Up... and Working to make your Subie Better, Everyday. it is Different from the "New Car" Sensation, when People Just Buy a Car and then Accesories for it, they could have a Nice Ride but no "Friendship" with that Car, only Fixing it Up and Learning from Each Step Taken, Again and Again with Time, is The Only Way to Be Better Doing Something.

So I Suggest to give Time, Wait Untill you feel Better and Then Begin Again, but Don`t Give Up!

I Really Wish I Could be Near of You, to Help you Fixing it Up... But I am Sure that you Can Do It, only by YourSelf! You are Strong and you have the Power to Continue, you just need to be Patience.

Good Luck!!!

amen!!!

Oh my God! ... Don`t Give Up!

Since 1985, My EA82 Wagon Have given Not Only Lots of Troubles, Also Great Moments and Wonderful Travels... Many Times it was So Screwed Up... First my Dad Started Repairing it (I was too Child, but I Learned from Him) then I, and Now I Wonder, remembering the Hard Times we Passed Together, and How great is That Subie Running Now.

That Wagon is my Everyday Warrior, (The Other one is my Dad`s) I Know that Maybe soon, something can fail and the Wagon can Leave me alone in the Middle of Nowhere, at Midnight, in a Road, etc... but I am Sure That I can Fix it Up Again and Again; with the Help of God, Working on it and with the Kind Words and Advices that All Our Friends here at the USMB Posts, giving Ideas, Sharing Experiences, Pictures, etc... and That Situations Just Makes the "Subaru - Owner" Relationship goes Stronger, like a Friendship, Because everytime I Start my Wagon and it Takes me to the Everyday`s Roads and more, I am Glad to Know that the Car Runs Because I`ve Worked in it, sometimes very Hard, fixing it Up and Maintaining it Good!

It is a Sensation of Satisfaction that can be Felt only Facing that kind of Troubles and Fixing them Up... and Working to make your Subie Better, Everyday. it is Different from the "New Car" Sensation, when People Just Buy a Car and then Accesories for it, they could have a Nice Ride but no "Friendship" with that Car, only Fixing it Up and Learning from Each Step Taken, Again and Again with Time, is The Only Way to Be Better Doing Something.

So I Suggest to give Time, Wait Untill you feel Better and Then Begin Again, but Don`t Give Up!

I Really Wish I Could be Near of You, to Help you Fixing it Up... But I am Sure that you Can Do It, only by YourSelf! You are Strong and you have the Power to Continue, you just need to be Patience.

Good Luck!!!