Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OB strut lift...the saga continues

superu

I recently ran across an older thread ( http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58307&highlight=outback_97) but it seems like a good crowd for my question.

I like the idea of the GR2 strut being a bit stiffer than stock, and am interested in the stiffness of the king springs.

As I understand it, OBs have more than just struts when compared to legacies. OBs have little lift blocks, and different swing arms etc., so they can handle a bit higher lift from GR2's and kingsprings without negatively affecting axle geometry, whereas Legacies can deal with tires and OB struts, but the addition of lift kingsprings may be too much...

SO, MY QUESTION(s)...

(a bit of history first)

I OB strut lifted my 95 legacy with rave reviews. I am now running the 27.8x8x14 BFG AT KOs and LOVE them. But with my modified baja bumper (mudrat product), the front sags a bit with added weight of all that steel (http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/profile.php?do=editattachments). I'm thinking about replacing struts all around with GR2s (mine OB struts are starting to ooze and get old), so when I do this, I might as well make it better, right?

SO I'm interested in maybe a little more lift and a bit more spring strength, so here is what I'm looking for info and opinions on:

1. Replacing the front springs with coils from an H-6 OB

(would like 2004 H-6 OB coils fit on 99 OB struts?)

2. Replacing the front springs with kingsprings for OB (non lift springs)

3. Replacing all springs with king springs (lift or non lift, or lift in front on non lift in rear)

4. reusing the OB coils all around, but adding these 'nifty' spring spacers..

(http://www.jcwhitney.com/Coil-Springs/GP_2005889_N_111+1999+200729870+600003409_10101.jcw)

Does anyone have any experience with these? Would they work on a strut?

Has anyone done OB struts on a legacy AND lift kingsprings, or are all lift kingsprings sofar ONLY on OBs??

Thanks,

-mark-

I think a write up is under my old user name around her somewhere (The Don).

I ran the GR2 / King Spring lift set up on my old '97 LOBW. I know that the strut itself is a bit longer, but I don't recall seeing any lift blocks.

Anyway, I don't see any problems with your plan.

When i did my lift, i had to use camber bolts. I bought the max size i could (3 degrees) to give me wghhat i thought was a bit of comfort zone (shop said 2 degrees needed) but in relaity they had to use the full span.

Another thing to be careful of is the rear wheel arc. Since the rear control arm is basically a swing arm, if you go with a larger tire, you may have a interfernce issue between the tire and body.

I see no problems physically with the spacer blocks, aside from what i stated above.

Didnt someone do the lift kit AND the springs, or was that on the outback board?

nipper

When i did my lift, i had to use camber bolts. I bought the max size i could (3 degrees) to give me wghhat i thought was a bit of comfort zone (shop said 2 degrees needed) but in relaity they had to use the full span.

Another thing to be careful of is the rear wheel arc. Since the rear control arm is basically a swing arm, if you go with a larger tire, you may have a interfernce issue between the tire and body.

I see no problems physically with the spacer blocks, aside from what i stated above.

Didnt someone do the lift kit AND the springs, or was that on the outback board?

nipper

I think that was the outback board. I just can't remember who.

nipper

Thanks for chiming in guys...

outback_97 (from USMB) did GR2 AND kingspring LIFT OB springs a couple years ago. His pix look good!!

I'm just curious if my legacy can handle the addition sretch of lift OB king or scorpio springs...

OR if i do those spring spacers which go b/t the spring and the spring perch.

Nipper,

Thanks...

Let me clarify a bit and try to prevent confusion (before it starts ;)

I'm not talking about a lift kit ALSO (like strut block kits..). I've been told that outbacks (and bajas) had like a body lift on top of taller struts.

Or is it just the Baja that has body lift blocks compared to OBs?

Anyway, as I understand it, other suspension parts are different from OB to legacies. More beefy in OB compared to legacies, rear swing arms, etc. (i can't picture in my mind right now what else is stronger in OBs then legacies)

I met a guy in Eugene (can't remember his name, but he also has an ej-swapped EA82, red with a sweet mudrat roof rack) that had done the "complete" OB suspension swap to his 96? legacy. As in swing arms, sway bar, etc. ON TOP of OB struts...

Thanks for the outback page reference, there's good info in there. (i think OU812 from there is now a newbie here ... Welcome!)

I think a write up is under my old user name around her somewhere (The Don).

I ran the GR2 / King Spring lift set up on my old '97 LOBW. I know that the strut itself is a bit longer, but I don't recall seeing any lift blocks.

Anyway, I don't see any problems with your plan.

Hey Yeti,

Yeah I saw your post on your lift. (http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...ad.php?t=49336)

It sounds good, and outback_97 followed suit, and his looks sharp. I'm just concerned with going so high with a legacy. I've read about others have CV issues with their Legacies on higher lifts (don't remember off the top of my head, but i think there was a 95 or 96, and probly a first gen legacy or two with axle concerns going taller than JUST OB strut lift.

Thanks!

-mark-

Hmm, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

AND to that... i think others had used scorpion springs. I guess i was using them synonomously. But good to know King isn't any more for my searching.

Hate to burst your bubble but I thought King Springs was no more? Might want to check that out before going too far. Sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

More on the king/scorpion spring thing...

So I wrote king spring (from the contact us link on their website) asking if the raised springs were still availble for 97-99 outbacks.. Below is their response...

"

Thankyou for your inquiry

We have Part No's KSFR-32SP (front - 6cyl) and KSRR-29 (rear) to raise your model vehicle approximately 25-30mm from factory std height. These have an increase in spring rate of approx 25%.

Costs are as follows:

Front Coils AUD $ 170.00 per pair

Rear Coils AUD $ 170.00 per pair

FedEx Air (3-7 days) AUD $ 265.00.00 per (set of 4 coils)

Total del. you is AUD $ 605.00 (set of coils)

Payment can be made via credit card or direct business account deposit.

http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

Regards ,

Kris Tarrant

Sales and Technical Services

IT Manager

KING SPRINGWORKS PTY LTD"

I'll see what else I can find out about US distributorship on raised springs...

But it looks like they're still available, perhaps just without a US distributor??

:lol:

They responded that there is no distributor in The States, that peopl deal directly from them...

Yeah, so i was confused about the 6 cyl thing too, since my original msg indicated i was looking for 97-99 OB raised springs. The response was what I posted, indicating 6 cyl... So again, more confusion and needed clarification...

:confused: but :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest northcoast

I've got OB strut assemblies on my '91 Legacy and have been looking for replacement options as well. I tried spring inserts as a temp fix but that lasted about 5 minutes until the first one popped off into the mud. Does anyone have the dimensions of the lift springs? Perhaps there is an off the shelf spring that would work? Something from a Range Rover or Samurai perhaps?

tubesoob...check with Mike at A&M Autoparts in Benton City. Not sure about his knowledge of Suby parts but he is a master of mashing together parts to make a mean wheelin' machine.

Does anyone have the dimensions of the lift springs? Perhaps there is an off the shelf spring that would work? Something from a Range Rover or Samurai perhaps?

As per Numbchux,

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92364&page=2

this is a spring info compilation spreadsheet.

It may answer your question, and its a good one!!! A bit of research and one might be able to dig up another manufacturer's spring meeting the proper dimensions.

Good call.

Just keep in mind that they are slow to ship ..

Basically cause they are upsdie down and the springs keep falling out of the boxes :P

nipper

PS with the exchange rate that may not be too bad.

Not true...I ordered a set of kingsprings and got them in 4 days.!

..I can't get shipping that quick in the states...!!! I about shat myself when they showed up....:eek:

If you go with King or H6 springs, and you are worried about your axle overextending, you could grab the 1 1/4 inch spacer from Outback crossmember. Probably need to grab the longer bolts that go with it, or get new ones. Remember to also get the mount for the rear pivot of the lower control arm. it also has a drop of about 1 1/4 inches.

This will keep your'e axle close to stock outback geometry. And would be less than an hours work to do.

• 6 months later...

Revisiting old threads today.

I may be visiting some SLC JYs in a couple weeks so I'm interested in wha all I might need.

So is this all i should look for

If you go with King or H6 springs, and you are worried about your axle overextending, you could grab the 1 1/4 inch spacer from Outback crossmember. Probably need to grab the longer bolts that go with it, or get new ones. Remember to also get the mount for the rear pivot of the lower control arm. it also has a drop of about 1 1/4 inches.

This will keep your'e axle close to stock outback geometry. And would be less than an hours work to do.

in beefing up my subframe and suspension to be more outbackified, and lower my axle geomoetry to allow for more raising, with lift blocks or springs?

Thanks!