Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 impreza outback sport timing belt

Hey all:

Going to do the timing belt on the engine for my 1998 impreza outback sport. I went to ebay and looked for a timing belt kit. There were many kits with different year compatiblities, but it seems that there is some change that occured in early 1997.

I went to rock auto and the "cloyse" brand kit for my year shows the same part number for every year back to 1993. I'm confused. Maybe the difference is something other than what comes in that kit. Anyone know about this?

The reason I didn't just buy an ebay kit that was listed for my year is because the engine I got is from a 1997 and I have a kit for a 1993 ej22 sitting on my shelf. Also the 3/97 -1998 kit is twice as much as the earlier kit.

I intend to take the timing belt cover off the engine tomorrow and compare the parts. I'll report back what I find. Thanks.

Daniel

Alright you guys convinced me. I will go get a california belt from subaru. However the rest of my belt kit looks exactly the same as the other parts on my new engine. Also, my new engine appears to have had the belt changed before and it looks to be in good condition, but since I'm already there I'll just go ahead and replace all the idlers any way and put in the new water pump too. Thanks all.

Daniel

sounds like a good move D.

the growing consensus is that EJ water pumps almost never fail, so I and I know of a few others that do a bunch of motor work are starting to extend the water pump change intervals. not that it's a big deal with the timing belt off anyway, but i figure there's no point in replacing the part every single time like i used to when i've never seen one fail. but on 105k belt motors you're asking a lot to wait 105,000 to be in there again.

makes sense, the design is a bit more robust than older gen water pumps.

sounds like a good move D.

the growing consensus is that EJ water pumps almost never fail, so I and I know of a few others that do a bunch of motor work are starting to extend the water pump change intervals. not that it's a big deal with the timing belt off anyway, but i figure there's no point in replacing the part every single time like i used to when i've never seen one fail. but on 105k belt motors you're asking a lot to wait 105,000 to be in there again.

makes sense, the design is a bit more robust than older gen water pumps.

I have seen one bad EJ water ever and that was on a 250,000 mile engine. That one was just a little loose not even leaking. I do not replace the pumps with timing belts unless I am asked to. I have seen a bunch of bad pulleys especially the toothed one.

Hey all:

I just read this http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/TBeltEWWin05.pdf and it seems to say "subaru 1.8l and 2.2l engines are freewheeling" which I would take to mean non interference since they go on to say "no bent valves if the belt breaks."

I believe the folks here because you've helped me keep my soobs running for so long, but now I'm confused. This article is from spring 2005 so its written after my engine was built. Am I reading the wrong thing, or just comprehending it incorrectly, or are they just omitting info on the 2.2l interference engines.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

okay, so if I were searching ebay for a timing kit for my 98 OBS, woul this fit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-2001-Subaru-Impreza-2-2-SOHC-Timing-Belt-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33625QQihZ012QQitemZ220334213764

since I can't find an auction specifically for 98 2.2 sohc, I'm thinking this would fit. what if any changes did the 2.2 undergo between 98 to 01?

bought the car with 94k-it is on second belt-everything else I would assume but if the dealer was just shining me then 135 is overdue for a belt change-I inspected the belt about 10k ago and "looked" okay. I'm more concerned about tensioner, pulley failure.

that's not the right kit. unless someone chimes in with specific experience and tells you they are interchangeable i wouldn't get this. the Ej22 changed significantly in 1999. not sure if it's enough to make a difference with tbelts but no point in learning the hard way.

i'm confused as to why some of those ebay kits say 1990-1997 EJ22 (says won't fit 3/97+) then the others are 1999+ EJ22.

what's up with the 3/97 date?

i see the difference is in the tensioner (you can tell by the pic's). so you could just look at your tensioner by removing the drivers side timing belt cover and buy the kit that matches. it only takes a couple minutes to remove that cover and nothing else has to come off.

1997+ EJ22's are interference. i didn't bother looking at the link, but it doesn't matter - 97+ is interference for Ej22.

Edited by grossgary

that's not the right kit. unless someone chimes in with specific experience and tells you they are interchangeable i wouldn't get this. the Ej22 changed significantly in 1999. not sure if it's enough to make a difference with tbelts but no point in learning the hard way.

i'm confused as to why some of those ebay kits say 1990-1997 EJ22 (says won't fit 3/97+) then the others are 1999+ EJ22.

what's up with the 3/97 date?

i see the difference is in the tensioner (you can tell by the pic's). so you could just look at your tensioner by removing the drivers side timing belt cover and buy the kit that matches. it only takes a couple minutes to remove that cover and nothing else has to come off.

1997+ EJ22's are interference. i didn't bother looking at the link, but it doesn't matter - 97+ is interference for Ej22.

The kit looks right to me. Every 98 OBS I have come across had that newer style tensioner. Only way to know for sure is to have the cover off and look.

The kit looks right to me. Every 98 OBS I have come across had that newer style tensioner. Only way to know for sure is to have the cover off and look.

well, I guess my plan would be to buy that kit and then get another subaru belt 13028AA102 (211 teeth). if the picture is correct in that auction, the belt has 223 teeth. not sure what changes would add 12 teeth. BTW, I removed my TB driverside cover but couldn't tell what tensioner I have. I'm assuming the new kind (build date 11/97).

current belt looks good-just a little dust on the cam pulley. ran the engine with the cover off, everything looks tight. should latst the winter at least.

my other thought is that the tensioner life is measured in time (duh) more than miles and could be needed to be changed sooner than the belt? any opinions.

well, I guess my plan would be to buy that kit and then get another subaru belt 13028AA102 (211 teeth). if the picture is correct in that auction, the belt has 223 teeth. not sure what changes would add 12 teeth. BTW, I removed my TB driverside cover but couldn't tell what tensioner I have. I'm assuming the new kind (build date 11/97).

current belt looks good-just a little dust on the cam pulley. ran the engine with the cover off, everything looks tight. should latst the winter at least.

my other thought is that the tensioner life is measured in time (duh) more than miles and could be needed to be changed sooner than the belt? any opinions.

Both tensioners take the same belt. I've mixed and matched using what I had around at the time with no issues. As far as I know there is only one belt length on EJ22 phase 1.

If the tensioner looks ok at the first belt change I don't have people replace it. Second one it's not a bad idea. If it leaks replace it.

i basically do what subaru360 said - timing belt every 60k, the pulleys/tensioners every other timing belt. the only addition for me is on a 10 year old car i would replace the pulleys regardless of mileage if they're original or unknown. with the interferences jokers starting in 97 it's even more important now as time goes on.

• 2 weeks later...

the timing belt kit for the 98 OBS seems to be a puzzle. I need to confirm the pulley part #s but the belt is right. why wouldn't this work even though it says Legacy? at least it encompases 98.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220340667155&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

i'm about to pull the trigger on this unless someone definitely thinks it's wrong.

edit: bingo PCI TS26172

http://www.preferredcomponents.com/Subaru.php?PHPSESSID=3e8bde8694ed5f721eadc9c70b181ff0

looks like it should work...maybe

Edited by 98obster
mo info

the timing belt kit for the 98 OBS seems to be a puzzle. I need to confirm the pulley part #s but the belt is right. why wouldn't this work even though it says Legacy? at least it encompases 98.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220340667155&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

i'm about to pull the trigger on this unless someone definitely thinks it's wrong.

edit: bingo PCI TS26172

http://www.preferredcomponents.com/Subaru.php?PHPSESSID=3e8bde8694ed5f721eadc9c70b181ff0

looks like it should work...maybe

call them, tell them your model & year and that you want the ebay deal. they'll get you the right kit. they want you to have the right part and be happy.

that's what i did.

• 2 weeks later...
Make sure the kit is for California emissions, meaning a 105K mile timing belt instead of a 60K mile belt. Other than that, On a part that critical, I usually go OEM. I just trust a Genuine Subaru timing belt a bit more for some reason. . .

i saw something about this looking at t-belts at parts stores (aftermarket parts). the parts dept of my subaru dealership says there's only one oem belt for both ca and fed cars - anyone heard different?