Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 turbo conversion using EA82T

right, so ive had this thought bouncing around in the back of head for a while, ive heard of the S/MPFI conversion on the EA81s from the EA82s and am quite interested into moving that on somehow, basically i want to turbo my EA81

its not just a case of getting one and bolting it straight on anymore ethier, and i dont want to do a EA82 conversion as i might as well do an EJ, as ive said before i want to keep the EA81, its kind of that originallity thing, like AE86's, want to keep with subaru parts from that era

the 'problem' i have now is that ive got SUB 4 dualports on mine now, so it would have to have a dual setup on it, and i dont really want to go buy a manifold from RAM, cause there well expensive! hahaha!

basicically the question is: turbo converting a EA81 dual port with EA82 T stuff, ideas guys!

the 'problem' i have now is that ive got SUB 4 dualports on mine now

Excuse me sir, would you care to elaborate on this, as the only

SUB dual port on EA81's I know of is the turbo version.

It has the injectors mounted in bosses that are cast into the head.

Are these heads a RAM product or some Euro version of the EA81

we did not get?

Being from Sussex do you happen to know Mike that used to frequent this forum?

He got married and kinda fell off this side of the pond.

Last seen driving a very nice Legacy turbo wagon.

Excuse me sir, would you care to elaborate on this, as the only

SUB dual port on EA81's I know of is the turbo version.

It has the injectors mounted in bosses that are cast into the head.

Are these heads a RAM product or some Euro version of the EA81

we did not get?

Being from Sussex do you happen to know Mike that used to frequent this forum?

He got married and kinda fell off this side of the pond.

Last seen driving a very nice Legacy turbo wagon.

lol, ok, i got these SUB4 heads, inlets, carbs, cam, twin ignition system and some other bits from ron at RAM engines about 2 months ago, they were in his for sale part of the site, na, these are carb manifolds, with a pair of mikuni 36s on it

zriimage064.jpg

thats what mine looks like (its not completely finished in that pic)

and no, cant say i did, how old was he, and where in sussex, its quite big! (ish)

my lad, that is one radical piece of kit you have there!!!!

talk about a pict = a Kiloword

I see a swirl pot and a missing balance tube from the left to the right

intake manifolds, as you said it is not finished.

Grab a set of Weber DCOEs and have at it.

Or you could follow you original turbo sug but the cam

for a turbo is designed to limit overlap.

Carb cams do not.

Also

Turbo compression ratio is adjusted down as to prevent detonation,

as I am sure you are aware.

Ron has his dung in a pile so his cam would be set for the 'kunis.

He may have also bumped the comp ratio.

If you decide to go to EA82T, the manifold has injectors in it

aimed at the back of the intake valves.

Since we know an SPFI manifold fits width wise.

Stands to reason the MPFI should.

BUT the RAM spacing port to port may not fit.

This sounds like a KABOOM waiting to happen.

But it sure will be fun until then.

Have at it mate, just make sure you use all the EA82T

sensors and one nice thing is your version uses an

EGT sensor where ours has a 02 sensor.

That may help.

Set the boost at 4 or 5 psi (0.3 bar)

See how it runs.

I've been messin with the EA82T a bit and will help if you want.

One of my EA82Ts

willyslump.jpg

Mike is in his 20's, he may have moved after gittin' hitched.

He raced your version of auto cross .

hmm, yeah, didnt think bout the whole port sizes on the top, surely both those would be a bit small, but if i used everything that would come on the turbo manifolds, and esstentially 'converted' them into duals, would it would work

if you had a standard EA81, and bolted all the EA82 stuff onit would it work, and is it even a 'bolt' on?

EA82 MPFI / Turbo stuff is not going to be a bolt on. The ports on the EA82 MPFI stuff look like mickey mouse.

Those intake ports are way too spread out to "bolt on" anything from an EA82.

Anything you put on that will have to be custom.

--

On a standard EA81, the only thing that is bolt on is the EA82 SPFI/Carb manifolds.

http://extrudabody.com/

There is a guy north of me in Florida who uses various aluminum extrusion to make ITB setups. He makes "SU Replacement Kits" that replace the dual SUs found on many MG/Triumph/Datsun cars with a pair of TBs with fuel injectors mounted in them. They sell for about 700 USD, I forget if that includes injectors or not. Two injectors and throttle bodies per motor, 50mm bore I think? I know he goes down to at least 40mm for his ITB setups and I know he is a good guy, so he would probably work with you if you wanted 40mm "SU replacements" and he doesn't already have it listed on his web site.

Clicky Picky:

Datsun%20twin%20SU_1388c.jpg

:slobber:

http://extrudabody.com/

There is a guy north of me in Florida who uses various aluminum extrusion to make ITB setups. He makes "SU Replacement Kits" that replace the dual SUs found on many MG/Triumph/Datsun cars with a pair of TBs with fuel injectors mounted in them. They sell for about 700 USD, I forget if that includes injectors or not. Two injectors and throttle bodies per motor, 50mm bore I think? I know he goes down to at least 40mm for his ITB setups and I know he is a good guy, so he would probably work with you if you wanted 40mm "SU replacements" and he doesn't already have it listed on his web site.

Clicky Picky:

Datsun%20twin%20SU_1388c.jpg

:slobber:

that would make quite a neat setup, one on each port for me :grin:

i guess you then have to setup fuel pressures, high pressure pump and lines then, omg, im not ready for all that again!

well, RAM do their own dual port heads which i was gonna originally purchase, but he offered me all the SUB4 stuff, so i had it as a kit (still had to do quite a bit!)

RAMs heads are modified versions of the original heads, u send him your castings, and he'll send you some modified ones back, they consist of 3 way valve job, stainless valves, bronze guides, ported outlet (as it remains single) and dual ported inlets with intake flanges

my intention with them was to whack some big ole IDA webers on them and just run that for a while

the kit that ron offered me, consisted of, cam, carbs, inlet manifolds, twin spark dizzie, thermostat housing, some braketry and heads. the heads, which are TRUE dual ports, both in and outtake, the biggest downfall, u gotta make ur own exhaust! and there aint alot of room between the subframe and the exhuast port on one side! but shes runnin on 3 really rich atm, and seems to go as fast as when it was before, so when its all tuned in, with different jets, shes gonna shift!

the RAM duals are capable of 200 with a blower, and 140 with efi is quite possible apprantly with them

, im quite sure you could get that with some properly tuned carbs

mines meant to run 115 and 130lbs with the cam in, which i aint done yet, i want to whack some 48's on it, lighten the flywheel and reprofile cam even more, lookin to get up to 160/170 N/A with EA parts

• 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...