Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping Gas Tanks.

testy

Its fairly easy and it helps when there's no gas in it. Drop the mustache bar and the rear diff mount, pull off the PS rear wheel, pull off the access plate and disconnect the filler tube. Disconnect the fuel lines, pull the access plate under the rear seat (or trunk/cargo area, I forget where) disconnect the fuel guage sending unit and the 15 bolts that hold it in. Keep in mind the lines are going to be very stiff and hard to get off but harder to get back on.

1 Remove muffler and rear differential ASSY (4WD model only)

2 Remove fuel filler cap and drain fuel from fuel tank .....

3 Remove fuel filler pipe protector

4 Remove clamp and disconnect fuel filler hose from fuel filler pipe

5 Remove clamp and disconnect air vent hose from fuel filler pipe

6 Loosen clips and disconnect delivery hose, return hose and evaporation tube from fuel tank

7 While holding fuel tank, remove SIX mounting bolts from fuel tank and dismount it

a. Two men are required to perform step 7 above

b. Have a helper support fuel tank whien disconecting fuel meter harness or evaporation tube

8 Disconnect harness connector from fuel meter unit

9 Loosen clips, disconnect evaporation tube, and dismount fuel tank

Fuel Meter Unit

1 Remove floor mat from luggage compartment

2 Remove access hole lid

3 Disconnect harness connector from fuel meter unit

4 Remove FIVE nuts and detach fuel meter unit

assuming you have CARB fuel system, remove the pump assembly with bracket from under car, and find a convenient spot underhood, then install filter after pump

I have a cruddy bottom tank, so made plate to run new fuel pickup through fuel level sending unit hole, ran rubber hose under carpet and down to pump, have standard clear plastic 5/8" filter BEFORE pump, and clear 5/8 glass - metal - nylon Mr. Gasket cleanable fuel filter underhood BEFORE carb

one nice benefit about the Mr. Gasket is that it is easy to clean, remove out line and plug with thumb, remove in line and plug with finger, SHAKE VIGOROUSLY - and pour out crud, repeat as necessary

NOTICE!! fuel injected has larger supply and return pipes, also has a chamber which prevents interruption of fuel flow during cornering

It's the worst job I've ever had to do on a Subaru. That give you an idea? :mad:

GD

I dropped the one I put into my old RX out of a wagon that was in the middle of a field. That wasn't much fun but it wasn't too terribly hard. Just make sure the tank is empty or real close. I didn't check when I pulled the one from the wagon... it was still 1/2 full:mad:

It's just messy and awkward - everything falls down on you, and putting the tank back in is actually worse than removing it.

GD

Yeah I am willing to work on a nasty greasy Subaru all day but I hate it when I have to work on something that involves gas! I just hate getting it all over me! And it seems like even when you're careful it still finds a way to get everywhere!

Ya. The car sat for 4 years with no prep. Fuel system behind the carb is pretty much shot. And theres a ************ ton of spiders under there. Im gonna have to see if the car is worth it. Too bad cus its an average mileage dual range car with a good body. Ive just hardly got the effort since i dont have a license anymore and Im going to australia soon anyway.