Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone in South Florida want a GL10 with a bad 3AT?

Second gear quit. Metal shavings all up in my pan. :eek:

That's it, folks.. the car's toast! I can't/won't fix a slushbox, and there aren't cars in my area from which to pull a transmission, and the car is so rusty that everyone I know looks at me funny any time I have ever suggested the effort of a five speed swap. Besides, that would be even more than a JY 3AT, and ANY expense just... isn't worth it to me.

The car is in interesting shape otherwise. Digidash, cruise and AC worked until a mystery vacuum solenoid (i think) problem happened, never traced it all down.. Sunroof works, power windows all work, engine just had HGs redone about (WOW) 30K ago. Timing belts are due, wter pump about 45K old, newish rad. Just did rear bearings and front brakes/rotors. Its got the mudflaps on it; I'll pull those before it goes to the crusher. I also have a DIN stereo kit installed, retaining the trip computer, and have run rear speaker wires already.

4-door, SPFI, 2WD, blue interior, 3AT that only has first, and third after it warms up and finally shifts in.

The junkyard will give me $200 (one said 215) so if anyone wants to beat that for an awesomely great motor and a GL10 parts car with new front brakes and rear bearings, better act quick. Otherwise the mudflaps and possibly the stereo kit (it may already be promised to someone) will be for sale here soon, and if anyone has any requests that won't make the JY short me on $$ let me know.

Soon. Very soon. shawnmcarey at gmail dot com.

This really stinks, I don't wanna say goodbye to my subaru, but I JUST got her over 177,777 miles and got a photo of it at speed.. not sure where thats at right now or I would post it, but I really don't have an option to save the car; the rust is bad enough that *I* don't think she is worth the effort. You're welcome to try.

Edited by daeron

I know your pain my friend. But this is a sign to move onto one that might not have the cancer like this one has... I remember seeing pics:eek:

My first Subaru was getting close to what yours was. The rockers were almost nonexsistant, the floorpans were pretty rusted, quarters behind the doors were pinholed, the area where the seal is on the door was so bad the seal was almost falling off everytime I opened the door. I traded it for my '79 4wd wagon and the addiction started like wildfire:rolleyes:

if I could FIND one!!!!

They are practically nonexistent down here, and those I have seen are almost all 3at :confused::confused:

Maybe someday I will fy to CO and drive one home, but for now im trying to find wheels. looking at early 90s sentras and maximas, but realistically ANYTHING small and 5 speed would do.

no..... more..... slushboxes..... the only thing that will ever convince me to buy one is a wife.

Edit-- And seriously, the rust wasn't all that BAD, functionally..... Just AWFUL looking, and a fully aerated trunk (tops and bottoms, heh...) There were two or three small patches around the windshield (no leak but cracking hazard) and one tiny tiny patch by the passenger kick panel, but the frames are solid. Ziebarted car, of course :rolleyes:

http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p249/tardaeron/Subarust/ in case anyone is interested

if I could FIND one!!!!

They are practically nonexistent down here, and those I have seen are almost all 3at :confused::confused:

Maybe someday I will fy to CO and drive one home, but for now im trying to find wheels. looking at early 90s sentras and maximas, but realistically ANYTHING small and 5 speed would do.

no..... more..... slushboxes..... the only thing that will ever convince me to buy one is a wife.

Edit-- And seriously, the rust wasn't all that BAD, functionally..... Just AWFUL looking, and a fully aerated trunk (tops and bottoms, heh...) There were two or three small patches around the windshield (no leak but cracking hazard) and one tiny tiny patch by the passenger kick panel, but the frames are solid. Ziebarted car, of course :rolleyes:

http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p249/tardaeron/Subarust/ in case anyone is interested

This is pretty bad where I come from :-p

small005.jpg

But seriously, maybe one of the members north of you can keep their eyes open for something? SC, VA and around that area.

yah but thats IT is what I am saying.. the frame looks like butter, its just the crazy aerated trunk-ola...

Right now I am looking for cheap wheels, and $1000 seems to be the new standard low price for a car around here.. but within a year or two, who knows. I have friends who moved out to colorado some time ago, and I owe them a visit. I could arrange that visit around a car to drive home in; probably cheaper than shipping the car, definitely more enjoyable (as long as nothing serious breaks down on the way.)

Awww Shawn...Kinda hate to see it go too. But sometimes you just have to. And I am with you on slushboxes!!! ( hehehehe we all know I am sooo anti AT)

I just saw a good deal on a 5 spd Imp up here too..under a grand and a 2 door..

But I also found this ..its an AT but they dont have the issues that the old 3ET do

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/957709475.html.

also a few cheap Legos up here too.

Something will come along... I feel for ya though...been in that boat far too many times.

Shame we arent heading down your way this year for Christmas..I would have been happy to bring something down for you.

Edited by Bucky92

• 3 weeks later...

I would sell my 93 loyale, 5spd, pushbutton 4wd, and Im not that far from you.

156000K, new tires, newer alternator, new radiator, clutch replaced about 25000K ago, new water pump and belts, new computer, new timing belts, new exhaust, has had a crack across the passenger windshield for over a year and it hasnt grew. AC and heat work good. 900$?

I'll get pics if ur interested?