Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 1 rust issue suggestions???

I have friend who just acquired a 4WD 79 wagon. Texas car, so no typical rust.................but.

There is some rust under the interior dash on the drivers side right where the hood cable comes through. Judging from the fact that there is no rust elsewhere on the car, this appears to have happened from a manufacturing oversight/defect. The rubber plug that the hood cable goes through was never "seated" properly at manufacture. You can see the rubber lip was folded under and allowed water to seep in and soak the dash insulation for years. So now the cable hole is shot with rust and it has spread further towards the passenger side of the car.

Now, when you look under the hood, at the cable hole in the cowl, there is NO rust. As a matter of fact the entire spare tire platform looks like new. I know there are 2 layers of steel in this area and it's apparent that this rust started from the "inside to the outside", into just the one layer. It has not spread to the outside layer. It is under the seam caulk too, where the firewall goes vertical..

I told the guy that the dash needs to come out to gain access and any body caulk in that area needs to be removed and then rplaced after repair. Remove the rust, POR15 the area and fiberglass it in. (I said he's luck he caught it before it spread to the 2nd layer). Re-route the hood cable and seal the hole up.

Any other suggestions for this kind of rust? He's putting some $$ into this car and want's it to last!

I told him my thoughts and wanted to toss it to all of you for ideas.

Thanks!

Todd

I know...but this rust is in a complicated area where panals come together. But more importantly....."everyone should check to make sure their rubber fit's tight in the hole and that it doesn't leak"! LOL Really...you would never know you are developing rust unless you look!! I just had never seen rust in this area before and I have seem many Gen1s.

Todd

• 1 year later...