Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 EA82 GL Power Steering Conversion

Yes I searched on this topic first, but no I didn't find much in regard to an 86 GL in which I would like to convert to power steering. It has a 4" lift with BFG All-Terrain tires so gets a bit tiring to steer at lower speeds. What all is needed?

Power steering pump, brackets, lines, and steering linkage? Do I have to do anything with the cross member as has been mentioned for EA81 Subbies? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bobby

No interchangeability between models? I see no mention of impossibility in the ea series manual ( or pictures of them seperately either) but I do see a big difference in the legacy obviously. I would love to have the same turning gradient that ea82's have in my ea81. With power steering it would be heavenly! Mine is getting loose and I can just hear it.

Yes I searched on this topic first, but no I didn't find much in regard to an 86 GL in which I would like to convert to power steering. It has a 4" lift with BFG All-Terrain tires so gets a bit tiring to steer at lower speeds. What all is needed?

Power steering pump, brackets, lines, and steering linkage? Do I have to do anything with the cross member as has been mentioned for EA81 Subbies? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bobby

Hey Bobby,

You interested in a trade? Power Steering for your manual steering?

Sincerely,

Doug

Everything with my manual steering is in good working order. No slop or issues. I'll do a visual inspection in the next day or two to make sure the boots on the rack are in good order. My GL is parked in my friends shop right now waiting for a rebuilt head to be finished at the machine shop and reinstalled. I also know that the last owner of my car put $ into replacing parts of the steering setup. I'll find the receipts and let you know what was replaced. Anyway, I live in Ashland, OR (just above the CA border). I likely won't have time to pull any of my steering setup off of my GL for at least another week once I have the car running again and back in my garage.

How about your power steering setup? Is everything in good working order? Will anything need to be rebuilt or replaced? I can PM you my # or e-mail address if you'd like to discuss shipping, etc. Thanks!

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

What I've got is 120,000 mile, very good stuff. But...you're on the left coast.

I would think you could find a complete setup near your home cheap.

If not, we can work something out.

I would still buy your rack if you get your new-to-you stuff local.

Keep me updated.

Sincerely,

Doug